Lincolnshire logo

Tetford (Thetford)

Description and Travel

Tetford is both a village and a parish in the Wolds hills, 6.5 miles northeast of Horncastle, 10 miles south of Louth and eight miles northwest of Spilsby. Worlaby parish lies to the north and Somersby parish to the south. The parish covers about 1,800 acres.

Tetford village is in a shallow valley. A tributary of the River Steeping passes near the village. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1841 H.O. 107 / 646
1851 H.O. 107 / 2108
1861 R.G. 9 / 2369
1871 R.G. 10 / 3383
1891 R.G. 12 / 2599
1901 R.G. 13 / 3070
Top

Church History

Saint Mary's Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Year  Person
1842 Geo. NICHOLSON, auctioneer
1856 James REMINGTON, brewer
1868 Mrs. Mahelah MARSHALL
1872 Mrs. Mahelah MARSHALL, vict.
1882 George BROWN, vict.
1900 Fredk. Wm. FOSTER
1905 James MALTBY
1913 James MALTBY
1919 James BALDERSTON
1930 John Henry PEARSON, propr.
Top

Maps

Top

Military History

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 326
1811 410
1821 531
1831 690
1841 778
1851 799
1871 710
1881 590
1891 481
1911 374
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 24-September-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project