Note: There is also a West Halton in North Yorkshire.
West Halton is a parish, a township and a village in the north of Lincolnshire, just two miles south of the River Humber and east of the River Trent. It lies between the parishes of Whitton and Burton on Stather, and is bounded on the west by Alkborough and on the east by Winteringham parish. The parish covers about 2,000 acres and includes the hamlet of Coleby, which lies about a mile south of the village of West Halton. For many years, until 1861, the parish was much larger and included a portion of Gunness parish (as a chapelry). For more information about the parish, see the North Lincolnshire Council web site.
If you are planning a visit:
- The village itself is best reached by taking the A1077 Trunk Road north out of Scunthorpe toward Winteringham, but turning left after passing Winterton. The village lies in a vale between two Chalk Hills ridges.
- Visit our touring page for visitor services.
- West Halton was part of the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- The North Lincolnshire Library has the census returns from 1841 through 1901.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||R.G. 9 / 2400
||R.G. 10 / 3432 & 3433
||R.G. 12 / 2627
- Christianity came early to West Halton. St. Paulinus converted some of the local Anglo-Saxons to Christianity and built a religious house here by the beginning of the eighth century.
- The Anglican church, erected in 1695, is dedicated to St. Etheldreda.
- An earlier church structure burned to the ground in 1682.
- The church chancel was rebuilt in 1876-77.
- The church seats 250 people.
- There is a photograph of St. Ethelreda Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Here is a photo of St. Ethelreda's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
- The Anglican parish registers exist from 1538.
- Check the Manlake Deanery to see what LFHS indexes exist.
- The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1877. Currently the Antiochian Orthodox have a chapel at West Halton. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was part of the Winterton sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
- The National Grid Reference is SE 9020.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- In the churchyard at St. Etheldreda's Church there is a monument to one man from World War I and a second monument to another from World War II.
- The name Halton is common in England and comes from Old English halh+tun meaning "farmstead in a nook or corner". In the Domesday Book of 1086, the name appears as Haltone. Coleby is Old Scandinavian Koli+by meaning "farmstead of a man called Koli".
A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Manley Wapentake in the Glanford district in the parts of Lindsey.
- District governance is currently provided by the North Lincolnshire Council.
- Care for the poor of the parish extends back prior to the 1772 Enclosure Laws with a grant by the Rev. Thomas Patteson in 1766.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard at the Winterton petty session hearings.
- A parish school was built here in 1856 and by 1871 was schooling about 20 children.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Last updated on 29-January-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.
© 2002 EnglandGenWeb Project