Lincolnshire logo

Wildmore (Thornton le Fen)

Description and Travel

Wildmore is a parish, often called Thornton le Fen, although for many years the two have been separate civil parishes. It lies 11 miles south of Horncaslte and 9 miles northwest of Boston. Originally, it was all Fenland, mostly uninhabited, with parts allocated to various other parishes as land was drained. It has been part of the Boston district as well as part of the Horncastle district over time. The parish covers about 4,300 acres.

There is no village of Wildmore. New York is a hamlet in the parish. Bunker's Hill and Gipsy Bridge are hamlets in the old Thornton le Fen parish. The River Witham flows toward Boston down the south-west side of the parish. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2108
1871 R.G. 10 / 3338 thru 3340
1891 R.G. 12 / 2600
1901 R.G. 13 / 3071
Top

Church History

Wildmore Haven Bank

St. Peter's  Church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Maps

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1871 785
1881 689
1891 736
1911 633
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 2-November-2013
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2004 EnglandGenWeb Project