Note: There is a Winthorpe in Nottinghamshire, also, where the Newark Air Museum is located.
Winthorpe is both a village and a parish that lie on the North Sea just north of the east end of the A52 trunk road, about 13 miles northeast of Boston, 12 miles east of Spilsby and about 4 miles south of Ingoldmells. The parish includes the hamlet of Seathorne, home of the popular Lookout Pub on the beach. Skegness parish lies to the south and Burgh le Marsh parish to the west. The parish covers almost 2,400 acres. In the 1870s, most of the parish was grassland.
If you are planning a visit:
- Visit the Charnwood Tavern while in the village.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- The parish was in the Burgh sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District
- We have a handful of 1901 census surnames in a text file. Your additions are welcome.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
||H.O. 107 / 2110
||R.G. 9 / 2375
||R.G. 10 / 3394
||R.G. 12 / 2604
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Mary.
- The church is on Church Lane (surprise!) and is first mentioned in 1256.
- The church seats about 300.
- A photograph of St. Mary church is at the Wendy Parkinson English Church Photographs site. Click on the "Yet More Lincolnshire" album. Paul Fenwick also has a picture of the church on his site.
- Here is a photo of St. Mary's church, taken by Ron Cole (who retains the copyright).
- The Anglican parish registers date from 1551.
- Apparently there was a Sunday School, dedicated to All Saints in 1899. The web author has found no mention of a church with that name in the parish, with the exception that the church listed above has a full name of "All Saints and the Blessed Virgin Mary.".
- The parish lies in the Calcewaith and Candleshoe Deanery. The church is currently part of the Skegness and Winthorpe group of the Deanery.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Burgh sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
- This parish had a pumping station to supply fresh water to the town of Skegness.
- The national grid reference is TF 5665.
- You'll want an Ordnance Survey Explorer map, which has a scale of 2.5 inches to the mile.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
- The War Memorial stands in front of Saint Mary's Church. The photo is by Richard Croft.
- The name Winthorpe is from the Old English Wina+thorp, or "hamlet of Wina". Not mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Winetorp in the 12th century.
A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Candleshoe Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- In April, 1926, this Civil Parish was abolished and the land split between Skegness and Addlethorpe Civil Parishes.
- An ancient charity left by Edmund PINCHBECK in 1670, provided £6 yearly to aid the aged poor.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Spilsby Poor Law Union.
- A National School was built here in 1864-5 to hold a maximum of 57 students.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.
Last updated on 22-August-2012
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator
© 2001 EnglandGenWeb Project