Lincolnshire logo

Wyville (Wyville with Hungerton, or Hungerton cum Wyville)

Note: There is also a Stonton Wyville in Leicester and the two are often confused.

Description and Travel

Wyville is both a village and a parish. The parish is about five miles south-west of Grantham. The parish itself is bounded on the north by Denton and Harlaxton parishes, to the east by Great Ponton, on the south by North and South Stoke, and on the east by Kerrial parish in Leicestershire. A small rivulet runs through the parish, eventually joining the River WItham. The parish covers about 1,670 acres.

The village of Wyville is a small hamlet - actually more like a collection of farm buildings. Hungerton is a small hamlet set about a half mile north-west of Wyville. Hungerton has been the "population" centre of the parish in recent centuries. If you are planning a visit:

Top

Census

Census
Year
Piece No.
1851 H.O. 107 / 2102
1861 R.G. 9 / 2348
1871 R.G. 10 / 3357
1891 R.G. 12 / 2583
Top

Church History

Wyville St. Catherine church

Top

Church Records

Top

Civil Registration

Top

History

Top

Land and Property

Top

Manors

Top

Maps

Top

Names, Geographical

Top

Names, Personal

Top

Politics and Governance

Top

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Top

Population

    Year  Inhabitants
1801 89
1841 137
1851 135
1861 155
1871 137
1891 125
1911 146
1991 56
Top

Schools

Top

Return to the Alphabetical Index


Last updated on 7-February-2014
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2003 EnglandGenWeb Project