Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Lincolnshire logo (4010 bytes)

Mayors of Lincolnshire in 1902

Transcribed by Ann McClean from:

"The Mayors of England & Wales 1902" Coronation Year, King Edward VII
(Compiled and Edited by F.A. Barnes)
Published by W.T. Price & Co, 19, Grand Parade, Brighton, England.

BOSTON:

Mr Alderman William Turner Simonds, J.P.

Mr Alderman William Turner Simonds, J.P., Fishtoft Manor, Boston, son of the late Mr John Cabourn Simonds, was born at Fishtoft Manor in 1847, and educated at Boston and Cheltenham College; was first connected with engineering, but is now a merchant. Fourth time Mayor; has been a member of the Corporation since about 1877, and is at the present time an Alderman and a Justice of the Peace for the borough; a Charity Trustee for Boston Grammar School; a Witham Commissioner and a Black Sluice Commissioner; has been connected with all improvement works during the last thirty years; was elected Mayor in 1896, 1897, 1900 and 1901, the present being his fourth term of office. Mr Simonds has been married twice but is now a widower; he has one daughter (married) and one son.

Boston is a sea-port town of Lincolnshire with a very considerable shipping trade; the Corporation is an old one, which holds a number of Charters; it has built and owns docks, and owns the markets, parks, etc. The town gave its name to the city of Boston, U.S.A.; it has a fine parish church, the tower of which is locally known as "Boston Stump".
Area of the borough, 2765 acres; population, 15,583; rateable value, 51,122.
Town Clerk, Mr R.W. Staniland.

GRANTHAM:

Mr Arthur Hutchinson, J.P., V.D. & Mrs Arthur Hutchinson.

Mr Arthur Hutchinson, J.P., V.D., of St Peter's Hill, Grantham, is the youngest son of the late Simon Hutchinson, of Manthorpe Lodge, Grantham, where he was born on April 6th, 1855, receiving his education at Grantham and Repton schools. He was elected Town Councillor, November, 1885, and has been returned unopposed five times since then; was Mayor of the borough, 1893-94, and has been again elected for 1901-02; his grandfather and uncle before him both filled the mayoral chair of Grantham twice; he has been a member of Kesteven County Council (for Grantham, No. 3 Division), since it's formation, January, 1889, being always returned unopposed; was made an Alderman of the Council, February, 1902; a member of Grantham Board of Guardians since 1887; joined the Grantham Corps of Volunteers in 1873 as a private, and is now Major and Hon.Lieutenant-Colonel, 2nd Volunteer Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment, holding the V.D.; was appointed Justice of the Peace for the borough of Granthamin 1898; is a manager of St John's Schools, and a strong supporter of the Voluntary School system; a supporter of the Victoria Nursing Association, and of the local branches of the great friendly societies; a keen sportsman; follower of the Belvoir hounds, and in younger days an enthusiastic cricketeer and football player. A director of Mowbray and Company, Ltd., brewers, Grantham Gas Company, Grantham Water Company and the Nottingham and Grantham Railway and Canal Company. Married August 10th, 1887, Miss E.J. Wilmshurst, daughter of Mr Edwin Wilmshurst.

The borough of Grantham was incorporated by Royal Charter in the third year of the reign of King Edward IV., A.D. 1464; its boundaries were extended in 1879.
Area, 4900 acres; population, 17,592; rateable value, 73,320.
Town Clerk, Mr A.H. Malim.

GRIMSBY:

Mr Moses Abrahams, J.P. & Mrs Moses Abrahams.

Mr Moses Abrahams, 86, Cleethorpe Road, Grimsby, son of Victor Abrahams, Goldsmith, was born at Hull in March, 1853, and educated at Edwin Swaby's School, Grimsby. He is in business in Grimsby as a jeweller, clothier, and general furnishing warehouseman, and is a director of the Steam Fishing Company, and Steam Laundry Company; entered the Town Council in 1894 for the North-East Ward, and was appointed Chairman of the Fever Hospital Committee, 1895, and Vice-Chairman of the Sanitary in 1896, which positions he has held ever since; a Freemason of the borough since 1880; elected Mayor for the Coronation year, Novemebr 9th, 1901. Mr Abrahams married in 1875, Rosea, daughter of Mr M. Wise, of Hull.

Though the Grimsby of today is practically a town of modern growth, it is a very ancient borough, having received its first Charter from King John, subsequent Charters being granted by other monarchs. It received a Court of Quarter Sessions in 1891, when the borough boundaries were extended. The Council consists of twelve Aldermen and thirty-five Councillors. Area of the borough, 3120 acres; population, 60,000; rateable value, 209,000.

LINCOLN:

Mr John W. Ruddock and Mrs John W. Ruddock

Mr John W. Ruddock, Derwent House, Yarborough Road, Lincoln, son of Mr John Ruddock, was born at Malton, Yorks, February 2nd, 1851, and educated at a public school, and also at a private one in Malton. He is engaged in business as a printer, bookseller, and stationer. He was elected Sheriff of the city in 1893, and entered the Council in 1895, as member for the Middle Ward; elected Mayor for the Coronation year, November 9th, 1901. Mr Ruddock married, on October 5th, 1876, Matilda, daughter of Mr James Davies, of Fulford, Yorks.

Lincoln was the old Roman colony of "Lindum Colonia," substantial traces of that period still remaining. It is also a very ancient ecclesiastical city and the head of a large diocese; Lincoln Cathedral is one of the largest and finest of English cathedrals. The Municipal Government had its origin many centuries ago, and the Corporation are large landowners in Lincolnshire and elsewhere, the property bringing in substantial revenue; the electric lighting works, gas, and water supplies, markets, etc., belong to the city, and electric tramways are to be constructed by the Corporation; a public library was opened in 1895.
Area of the borough, 3891 acres; population, 52,000; rateable value, 176,185.
Town Clerk, Mr John Thomas Tweed.

LOUTH:

Mr Mark Smith & Mrs Mark Smith.

Mr Mark Smith, Craiglea, Louth, Lincolnshire, son of the late Mr Thomas Ellerington Smith, a former Mayor of Louth, was born at Louth, January 27th, 1846, and educated at Cresswell's Academy, Louth; is now managing director of Mark Smith, Ltd., Louth, manufacturing chemists. Is a Conservative in politics and has been in the Town Council two years, being unamimously elected Mayor for the Coronation year, on November 9th, 1901; is an active Churchman, and for several years Churchwarden of Holy Trinity Church, Louth; Commissioner of the Louth Navigation, and Chairman of the Committee of Management; a member of the Louth Savings Bank; Life Trustee and a Manager of Holy Trinity Day Schools; Chairman of the Watch Committee of the Council. Is a Freemason, a permanent member of the Provincial Charity Committee, and a past Junior Grand Warden of the Province of Lincolnshire. Mr Smith married, in 1877, Kate, youngest daughter of the late Thomas Elkington, of Boston.

Louth is an old market town of Lincolnshire, which received it's first Charter from Edward VI.; the Corporation owns the technical school, markets, etc., but gas and water are supplied by private companies. Louth once possessed a fine abbey, of which only a few ruined fragments remain; here, too, a formidable insurrection which spread through a great part of Lincolnshire, against the tyranny of Henry VIII. was started, but it was suppressed with great severity.
Area of the borough, 3620 acres; population, 9516; rateable value, 37,533.
Town Clerk, Mr T.F. Allison.

STAMFORD:

Mr Charles Gray, J.P. & Mrs Charles Gray.

Mr Charles Gray, St Mary's Hill, Stamford, son of Mr George Gray, was born at Peterborough in 1856, where he was educated; he removed to Stamford in 1883, where he is now in business as an iron merchant. Was made a Justice of the Peace in 1897, and returned to the Council in 1898, being elected Mayor in 1900, and re-elected for the Coronation year, November 9th, 1901. Mr Gray married, in 1891, Annie Parnwell, daughter of Mr W. H. Strickland, of Reading.

Stamford's first Charter was given it before the Norman Conquest; it is one of the oldest towns in England, and is one of the very few boroughs permitted to impale the Royal Arms on a surcoat; the Corporation has some house property, and maintains the markets; the Marquis of Exeter, whose seat, Burghley House and Park, is at Stamford, controls the water supply, and the gas-works are the property of a company.
Area of the borough, 1918 acres; population, 8229; rateable value, 32,549.
Town Clerk, Mr Charles Atter.


Return to home page.

Administrivia

Last updated on 19-April-2004
Click here to send any questions and/or comments about this site to the Lincolnshire County Coordinator.

© 2001 EnglandGenWeb Project