OUR VANISHING HISTORICAL ICONS walled cities of Medieval England Alnwick
Colchester was surrounded by a wall built by the Romans after Boudica had sacked the town. Approximately half of the walls remain.
The walls of Coventry were demolished in 1662. Two gates survive, connected by a section of wall that runs through Lady Herbert's garden. Other small fragments dotted around the city centre, mainly hidden by modern buildings, include the remains of a bastion near Upper Well Street. Several fragments have been incorporated into newer buildings.
Great Yarmouth - About two-thirds of the wall remains. Of the original eighteen towers, eleven survive.
Lincoln - Fragmentary remains
Shrewsbury, one section remains along the 'Town Walls' road
The extensive remains of the York city walls are both a shortcut above the streets and, as in many places, a tourist attraction.
© 2014 Northamptonshire EnglandGenWeb