Page 3 of 8

Shelbourne Hotel photo

Shelbourne Hotel
The Hotel, built in 1824, is located on the north side of St. Stephen's Green Park. Citizen Army Commander Mallin, when occupying the Green, did not send a detachment to take over the Hotel, with its commanding view of the Park. On the second day of the Rising, the British sent a force of one hundred men to occupy the Hotel and opened fire on the Citizen Army in the Park. After a fierce three-hour assault by British machine guns, Mallin was forced to order a retreat of his forces to the College of Surgeons. The constitution of the Irish Free State was also drafted at the Shelbourne in 1921


Submitted by Corky ©1998


Continue the tour OR

The Easter Rising Page



© 1998-2000 Fianna Webmaster Team
Last modified Saturday, 06-May-2000 14:11:35 MDT

This page hosted by Rootsweb