Page 4 of 12

O'Connell Street


O'Connell Street
Formerly known as Sackville Street and renamed in 1924, O'Connell Street is one of Dublin's most famous streets and certainly its widest (150 feet). At the South end of the street is a monument to Daniel O'Connell, who is known for his role in securing Catholic Emancipation. Most of the street was rebuilt after the destruction and fires that occurred during the 1916 Easter Rising. Clery's department store, Eason's stationers as well as jewelry and other stores occupy the street today.


O'Connel Street, bridge


Submitted by Corky © 1998


Continue the Tour OR

Research Guide



© Fianna Web Team 1997 - (when Last Modified)
This page hosted by Rootsweb