Page 5 of 12

Trinity College

Trinity College
Trinity College was founded in 1592 although most of the current buildings were constructed in the 18th and 19th centuries. Walk around the campus and enjoy the architecture before going to see the Book of Kells. It is a magnificently illustrated version of the four Gospels that was written in the 7th - 8th centuries. It is believed that it was probably written on the island of Iona in Scotland by followers of St. Columba. The book has been divided into four volumes - two pages of each are open for public viewing of the kaleidoscopic Celtic artwork.

While at Trinity be sure to see the Old Library Long Room. It is the largest single chambered library room in existence and holds 200,000 volumes of Trinity's oldest books. Before leaving the campus stop at the bookstore to check their collection of books for sale. You may find something of interest.


Submitted by Corky © 1998


Continue the Tour OR

Research Guide



© Fianna Web Team 1997 - (when Last Modified)
This page hosted by Rootsweb