Where did this index come from?
The Panama City Pilot was one of the earliest newspapers published in the Florida panhandle. It was published every Thursday in Panama City beginning 30 May 1907, before Bay County became a county, and ceased publication 26 December 1941. Its editor was G. M. West.
In 1995 Barbara Walker Winge compiled an index to birth announcements in the Pilot for the period 1908 through 1916 and donated a loose-leaf notebook copy to the Bay County Library. In 2007, the BCGS began exploring the possibility of transcribing her manuscript, with her permission, with the intent of placing it on the Web. However, it became evident early on that the set of newspapers used to create her index had been missing a significant number of issues.
Fortunately, a series of 25 microfilms, apparently made from a different set of newspapers by the Micro Photo Division of Bell & Howell, containing a more complete set of issues, is in the permanent collection of the Bay County Library. Therefore, a new extraction was indicated using the microfilm copy.
As a rule, first names of children were not reported in the Pilot, but their sex was, so the present extractors chose to add that information, along with a number of comments thought to be a genealogical value, to the new index. Thus, the present index contain considerably more information that the previous one.
The present index, containing about 401 records, was extracted by Mrs. Cindy D’Aurora and Master Joseph D’Aurora from the microfilm collection, beginning in 2007 and ending in September 2008.
These pages are copyrighted. Please do not use any of them on a web page, CD-ROM, printed, or otherwise published work without first receiving permission from the Bay County Genealogical Society.
Return to the BCGS Home.