THis photo contains no less than four Bay County pioneers. John Calvin Holley (fourth from left, back row) was born 19 July 1850 in Coffee County, Alabama. He moved his family to Florida about 1884 and obtained an original land grant in 1890 of 154 acres where the Navy base now resides. He was a farmer. He died 7 September 1916 in Bay County.
His wife, Sophronia McDuffie, (fifth from left, back row) was born 1 March 1859 in Coffee County, Alabama. She married John Calvin Holley about 1875 and arrived with him in Florida about 1884. She died 1 March 1940 in Panama City.
Ella Sophronia Holley (third from right, front row) was born 24 February 1880 in Alabama, a daughter of John Calvin and Sophronia (McDuffie) Holley. She married Lelon Ephriam "Boss" Vickery on 3 January 1904 in Washington County. She died 1 November 1960 in Panama City.
Her husband, Lelon Ephriam "Boss" Vickery (the younger) was born 11 September 1869 in Washington County, Florida, a son of Lelon Ephriam (the elder) and Ann M. (Porter) Vickery. He graduated from the Marianna Academy and taught school for several years. He then bought a fishing boat and opened a fish house on Brachin's Wharf with his brothers. In 1906 he obtained a Coca Cola franchise and converted the fish house into the Bay Bottling Works of St. Andrews. He served as Bay County Commissioner from 1925-1929. He died 11 June 1954 in Panama City.
Return to the BCGS Home Page