History and Facts
Creation - County Seat - Weather - More
Send Calhoun County Web Pages for us to add: SeaGee69@aol.com
Calhoun county was created by an act of the Florida Legislative Council On January 26, 1838. It was formed from portions of Franklin, Jackson and Washington Counties. Blountstown is the county seat and in 1880 a courthouse was built close to the Apalachicola River. In 1903 an even newer courthouse was built in the town proper and has been restored and listed as an historic landmark. In 1973 the latest courthouse was constructed. Blountstown was named for John Blount, a Seminole Indian Chief from this area. Calhoun County is bordered on the east by the Apalachicola River and the Chipola River bisects the county. With the abundance of water it has made water activities a way of life instead of a pastime. One hour east is our State Capital, Tallahassee, and one hour south or southwest are the famous white beaches of Bay and Gulf counties.
On May 2, 1903, the registered voters of Blountstown, Florida, met at McClellan's store for the purpose or organizing a municipal government, pursuant to the published notice for thirty (30) days prior to the meeting in the Calhoun Times. The Calhoun Times was a weekly newspaper published in Calhoun County, Florida. In addition to the organization of a municipal government, the citizens attending this meeting also elected a Mayor, five (5) Aldermen, who would be known as the Town Council, a town clerk and Marshall. The Mayor, Clerk and Marshall were to continue in office for the period of one year from the date of their election, or until their successors were qualified and elected. The Alderman were divided into two (2) classes, two of which shall hold office for two years, and the remaining three to hold office for a term of one year. There were thirty (30) residents, or Registered voters residing in the territorial limits of the town who were present. The name of the town was selected by ballot, and was Blountstown, and the name of the Corporate seal was selected by ballot, and was Corporation of Blountstown, Florida.