Indian Springs Cemetery
Indian Springs Cemetery, lying along the banks of the Alligator
Creek in Punta Gorda, Florida and believed to be the second oldest cemetery
in Charlotte County, was briefly known as Pineapple River Cemetery early in
this century. The origin of the name Indian Springs is unknown although
some say that the Indians once got their water from a small spring on the property.
Land for the cemetery was donated to the county by James L. Sandlin, a prominent citizen and member of the Punta Gorda Council. The late governor, Albert Gilchrist, a surveyor, laid out the land and the first plat was recorded 14 December 1886. Another segment was record 08 June 1891. This survey of Indian Springs was completed 28 February 1975 to improve sales and maintenance.
Many sites are unmarked and labeled unknown because there had been no deed or memorial. However, a burial in these lots has been confirmed. The above information is from a report by Robert W. Purcell 28 February 1975.
There are over 2,000 burials at Indian Springs, the earliest of which were: PEABODY McLANE, LOUISE GARDNER, INFANT SON OF SANDLIN, WILLIAM G. ELLIOT, KATIE DICK SLOAN, BABY SUMNER COOK, and WASHINGTON HAMILTON. Lots were originally sold through funeral directors, but now purchased through the county.
Beside Potter's Field is a small area know as Babyland where infants were once buried free. The caretakers, have been working to get military markers for those who had seen service and to contact families to provide markers for those graves remaining unmarked.