CLEARWATER HISTORICAL SOCIETY

January 5, 2004

Meeting called to order by Bill Wallace at 7:30P.M.

Members present included Joe Turner, Joan Turner, Bill Justice, Anne Epling, James Coachman, Buddy Gross, Dean Robinson, Mike Sanders, Chuck McPherson, Dave Perkins, Kathleen Moore, Marvin Moore, Bob Delack, Helen Wilcox, John Tsacrios, Beanie Korosy, Shirley Galatas, Laddie Irion, Jr., Bill Wallace, Pat Moore, and Terri Ohr.

Minutes of Dec. 1, 2003, approved as corrected.

Treasurer's Report presented by Buddy Gross. Bank balance as of January 2004, is $10,579.28.

OLD BUSINESS

1. Membership Committee - Bettie Mease -Due to Bettie's accident, Buddy has pitched in and completed the billing for dues.
2. Program Committee - Jay Rhodes -May's fish fry set for Clearwater High School. Class reunions will add an additional 150 guests.
3. Public Relations - Dean Robinson -All publicity is continuing.
4. Museum Committee - Jim Coachman - No report
5. Artifacts and Documents Committee -Joan Turner -No report
6. Historical Research - Pat Moore -Mike Sanders working with Katie for photographs to be used on our web site.
7. Fund Raising - Helen Wilcox - It was suggested that we put a picture advertising the sale of our polo shirts on the web site. This might increase the sales. Helen Wilcox will make up an ad and give to Katie Moore. Mike suggested a possible good fund raiser would be a glass paperweight with a collage of Clearwater pictures in it. Shirley Galatas once again suggested the reproduction of the 1935 map drawn by Kathleen Plumb. She gave map to Joan Turner to see what the cost would be to reproduce. Bill Wallace will check with Fulmer Photography to see if he would be interested in reproducing historical pictures for the Historical Society that could be sold.
8. Homestead Committee - Anne Epling -Reminder that we still need staffing for Sat. hours. Whoever is covering Sat. hours should remember to check the answering machine and pass any messages on to Bill or Mike. Chuck McPherson showed the VCR tapes of the Plumb House to some Sat. visitors and had a good response. Suggested that tapes be shown each Sat.

Other:
A tour of the new library was taken by Chuck McPherson, Bill Wallace and his wife, Anne Epling, Pat Moore, and Bob Delack. The 4th floor will be where the local history room is located. The city still needs funding to complete this area of the library. They are interested in the Historical Society providing volunteers to man this area to help visitors with their historical search. The library itself has a beautiful view of the park and bay. It will have a patio area for parties, a large administration area and a coffee shop. The marble cut sign from the original Carnegie Library has been designated for placement in a hidden area of the administration area on the second floor. Bill Wallace and Mike Sanders have located another area in the library where it would be visible to the public. Bill and Mike will attempt to contact city officials to ask them to reconsider location. Plans are for the library to be open in the early spring.

Terri Ohr reported that AmSouth Bank would consider lending funds to the Historical Society. Upon receipt of documents reflecting who is authorized to sign legal documents on behalf of the Society, a copy of our not for profit form and our most recent earning/financial report, an application can be presented to the loan officers for approval. A motion was made by Helen Wilcox and second by Dean Robinson, authorizing the Executive Board to apply for a loan with AmSouth Bank in the amount of $5,000 for a term of 1-3 years. Bill Wallace, President, and Zade B. Gross, Treasurer, are authorized to act on behalf of the Board of Directors to sign any documents necessary for loan approval. Terri will take in copies of the Historical Society's By Laws and the Jan. 5 minutes to determine if these documents are sufficient for their loan application needs.

NEW BUSINESS

Laddie Irion has volunteered to make up a display for donations at the next fish fry. There will be a sign showing that the Historical Society is a tax exempt organization; perhaps, that will encourage more donations.

Dean Robinson contacted the supplier from the last painting project. Dyco once again offered to donate 25 gals of paint for our next painting project.

Mike Sanders and Laddie Irion will do some research to determine what type of roofing would maintain the integrity of the historical aspect of the Plumb House roof. Although we might not have a choice due to cost, if we do, this information could help in the roof style decision.

Bill Wallace will show the 16mm film of the mid 70's history of Clearwater before our Feb. 2 meeting at 7:00.

Motion made to adjourn by Dean Robinson and second by Pat Moore at 8:45.

Terri Ohr
Secretary