CLEARWATER HISTORICAL SOCIETY

June 5, 2006

Board meeting called to order by Terri Ohr at 7:34 pm.

Members present included: John Tsacrios, Chuck McPherson, Joe Turner, Bettie Mease, Helen Wilcox, Marvin Moore, Laddie Irion, Buddy Gross, Dean Robinson, Shirley Galatas, David Perkins, Bill Justice, Mike Sanders, Kathleen Moore, Jay Rhodes, Pat Moore, Terri Ohr, and Lorelei Keif.

Minutes of April 3, 2006 approved.

Treasurer's report given. Balance as of 6-5-06 was $6484.16. Report attached.

OLD BUSINESS

A. Membership Committee- Bettie Mease Bettie reported that she needs help in finding Elkie Chambers and Ed Whatley. If you know of their whereabouts please contact Bettie. Bettie also shared that we picked up a few new members at the fish fry.

B. Program Committee- Jay Rhodes Jay expressed frustration at booking and set-up at Ross Norton Center. Joe Turner suggested offering valet parking (on tickets and on the flyer) in the future for convenience. This might also raise extra money. Jay will consider this and looks for more input. The May fish fry was a success. Financial report attached.

C. Public Relations- Dean Robinson Dean shared recent articles in the local press. Dean expressed some frustration with timeliness and spelling errors. Dean made a special presentation to Terri for her hard work and perseverance at the last fish fry- The Golden Jug Award.

D. Museum Committee- Dave Perkins Mike Sanders noticed that our water spigot and our electricity are being used by homeless people. Also, human waste was noticed near the porch. Mike called the police and they said they would increase patrols. Terri reported that trash and personal belongings are clearly present and visible. The board discussed ways to discourage vagrants and property damage. Bill Wallace suggested approaching the local Neighborhood Watch Committee. Dave Perkins said the faucet handle was difficult to remove. The Thursday work crew will work on securing the water and electricity. Mike Sanders agreed to stop by the police sub-station and ask again for more patrols and inquire of the Neighborhood Watch. Terri to check into whether or not No Trespassing signs can be posted.

E. Artifacts and documents Committee- Joan Turner Preservation- Mike Sanders Mike reported on the progress of the Old Spanish Wellhead. The homeowner changed contractors. This has slowed progress. Mike is helping out with the railroad history of Pinellas County at the Dunedin Historical Society. Mike reported on how to receive grant money using Dunedin Historical Society's grant as a guide. Laddie volunteered to look into this project and report in the fall. Laura Tringally gave us some of her grandfather's slides and photos of old Clearwater. George Fulmer in possession of this donation. Laddie received a donation of a Ritz Theatre ticket stub from Marvin Moore. Discussed grouping it together with other theatre artifacts. Bill Wallace received a donation of the 1950 Bomber trophy. David Byers bought the trophy at a garage sale. Largo Main Street donated 2 plastic tables, and easy up tent, a wooden easel, a small table, and some binders. Lorelei to send thank you note.

F. Historical Research Committee- Pat Moore No report.

G. Fund Raising Committee- Helen Wilcox Helen reported that the new t-shirts were popular. Note cards were also a big seller. Laddie shared a brief report of the Ad Hoc committee. They plan to meet this summer and report in the fall.

H. Homestead Committee- Lorelei Keif and Anne Epling No report.

I. Other- The FL Memorabilia Show did not make much money for all the work it required. People wanted to buy copies of our old photos. Not enough people helped at the event. Need more coordination and help if we are ever to do this event again.

Terri thanked Joan Turner for the rush job on the t-shirts.

NEW BUSINESS:

Discussed how to commemorate WWII veterans and that generation in general. Laddie said Mayor Hibbard would be interested in the city helping. Bob Delack shared what the City of Largo has done. This is a national effort. Mike Sanders said the city needed to be made aware of what has already been done. Laddie to further discuss with the mayor.

Helen Wilcox made a motion that Jim Coachman be removed form the Board of Directors and be placed instead on the Advisory Board. The motion included moving John Tsacrios from the Advisory Board to the Board of Directors. Buddy Gross seconded the motion. Rationale- Jim has not been able to attend meetings in some time and John is able and willing to participate on the Board of Directors. Motion carried.

Motion to adjourn was made by Jay Rhodes. Second by Bill Wallace.

Meeting adjourned at 9:00P.M.

Respectfully submitted,
Lorelei Keif, Secretary