Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Historic Middleburg

In 1951 the town of Garey's Ferry was renamed Middleburg. There is a lot of history packed in to this small community, dating back to the early 1800s. In 1990 a large area on Main Street was designated a National Historic District, becoming the first in Clay County to receive such an honor. Several homes in the area are also listed.

Middleburg has a small Historical Museum that is fairly bursting at the seams with artifacts. It is located at 3912 Section St. just around the corner from the historical district. It only has Sunday hours (2 - 4 Pm) at this time. However, with prior notice, they will open for groups. (schools, scouts, etc.

Click here To take a virtual tour of the museum,

*Middleburg has been called by many names: 1839, Garey's Ferry (Duval Co); 1842, Black Creek (Duval Co); Clark's Ferry, and Whitesville.

Following are pictures of Historic Middleburg from various sources.


Middleburg Marker

Middleburg Marker

Black Creek at Branning Ferry

Brannings Ferry

Long & Budington Store

Chalker House

Clark Chalker House

Chalkers Store

Chalkers Store

Methodist Church

Middleburg Methodist

Middleburg Methodist Church

Middleburg Methodist

Middleburg Methodist Today

Middleburg Methodist

Middleburg Methodist

Middleburg Docks

Thompson - Chalker Docks

Scotland Mills

Scotland Mills

Fort Heileman

Fort Heileman (sign spelling wrong)

Fort Heileman sign

Fort Heileman Sign in Park on Main St.

*Sources: Pioneers of Florida's First Coast by Southern Genealogist's Exchange Society