The Fort Cooper Chapter NSDAR was charterd on April 21, 2007, and serves Citrus and neighboring counties. Citrus County is located on "Florida's Nature Coast," 70 miles north of Tampa and 60 miles northwest of Orlando. Citrus County is known for its beautiful waterways, crystal clear springs, and gentle manatees.
Meetings are held the first Tuesday of the month, September through May.
Fort Cooper History
In April 1836, during the Second Seminole War, Major Mark Anthony Cooper was ordered to remain behind to protect the sick and wounded as General Winfield Scott marched south to present day Tampa. Major Cooper was left in the command of five companies of the First Georgia Battalion of Volunteers and a small artillery company. The fort site was well chosen. The fortification was built on the western bluff of Lake Holathlikaha. Major Cooper was to hold this position as he waited for reinforcements. There were several skirmishes with the Seminoles and Chief Osceola, but the volunteers held their own. On April 18, General Scott returned with supplies and reinforcements, leading the men of Fort Cooper from their frontier sanctuary and into new battles.
Historic Preservation, Promotion of Education and Patriotic Endeavor
The Daughters of the American Revolution is a volunteer women's service organization dedicated to promoting patriotism, preserving historical relics and locations, preserving the records of the men and women who achieved American Independence, and securing America's future through better education of our nation's youth.
NSDAR Web site
Back to Fort Cooper home page