NOTABLE PERSONS OF BROWARD COUNTY FLORIDA
Isaiah Hall (c 1828) and Lavinia (________) Hall (c. 1829)
In 1964 during the Civil War, Unionist Isaiah Hall & his family fled from Confederate sympathizers in Miami & settled along the New River. The Hall family is listed on the 1870 Biscayne Post Office, Dade Co., Census: Isaiah 42 Yr. old farmer born KY, wife Lavinia 41 GA. Obadiah 15 GA, Sarah 13 FL, John 8 FL, Martten 6 FL (F), William J. 2 FL and Mary 10/12 Florida.
William Henry Hammer (Oct. 9, 1870 Bates Co., MO - Sep. 7, 1950 Davie, FL)
& Adeline (Hirni) Hammer (Aug. 10, 1872 Bates Co., MO - Aug. 11, 1956 Davie, FL)
Both buried at Evergreen Cemetery.
Early farmer of Davie in 1913. Son of Anton and his 3rd wife, Mary Grob. The couple married Dec. 25, 1892 at Bates Co., MO. Around 1900, they moved to Olds, Alberta, Canada where they became Canadian homesteaders and farmed until attracted by land opportunities in the States. 12 children.
(See First Families of Broward, Imprints 3.4, p. 93.)
Hildegard Hume Hamilton (1898 -1970 Fort Lauderdale, FL)
Widely exhibited Florida landscape artist who studied in Paris and the Art Students League. Moved to Fort Lauderdale in the 1930s and continued to paint the local scenery from her studio/home on the Tarpon River. Her style has been described as loose and colorful. Hildegard Hamilton also painted in Nassau and elsewhere. Her art can be found represented in the collections of many museums, as well as at the Fort Lauderdale Historical Society's collection at the New River Inn and at the offices of the Broward County Historical Commission.
James E. "Ed" Hamilton (1887)
Mailcarrier. The barefoot mailmen were a group of mailcarriers who delivered mail along 40 miles of beach & 28 miles of water, but the most famous one was Ed Hamilton. He disappeared in 1887 at Hillsboro Inlet & was believed to have drowned, possibly by an alligator. In 1956, a group of Pompano Beach postal workers began taking an annual hike in honor of his memory. For more information, see Hillsboro Lighthouse Preservation Society on the Links Page for a complete list of the barefoot mailmen.
Lawrence O. "L.O." Hansen (1888-1965)
Buried Woodlawn Cemetery, Dania Beach, FL
Broward County Tax Assessor and son of Peter Hansen.
The first Tax Assessor of Dania, FL which was incorporated in Nov. 1904. Father of L.O. Hansen who became a Broward County Tax Assessor.
E. Hardy - Prob. Eugene E. Hardy (1890-1962)
He is buried next to wife Rena E. at Pompano City Cem.
Occupation listed in the R. L. Polk & Co. Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as garage and notary in Pompano.
Isaac I. Hardy (Apr 25 1849 - Dec 24 1915)
and wife Kitty (________) Hardy (1853-1928)
Isaac, Kitty, and son Eugene are all buried at Pompano City Cemetery, along with Elizabeth (Hardy) Warren.
Pompano settlers who arrived from Hypoluxo (Palm Beach Co., FL) in 1899. Isaac served on the first Board of County Commissioners for Broward County (Oct. 1, 1915 representing Pompano). The 1910 Palm Beach Co. Census lists Isaac I.Hardy age 61 b. NC father - NC mother - NC as a truck farmer living with wife Kitty 55 NC NC NC, Mack D. 21, Eugene 19, Jessie 17 and Eliza E. 13. Kitty had had 7 children, 6 still alive. Also with the family were boarders Denny J. Berfield 40 and Wm. W. Buddington 32. Another son was Roland 1884-1963. Sources: First Families of Broward, Broward Legacy Vol. 6, No. 1 and census records.
John B. Hart
Listed in the R. L. Polk & Co. Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as a operating a general store in Hallandale.
P. H. Hart was the first Town Marshall of Dania, FL.
Listed in R. L. Polk & Co., Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as the president of the South Florida Builders Supply Company.
William M. Heine (d. Nov. 16, 1919 Cromwell, CT)
Principal and Newspaper Publisher. Wm. M. Heine was principal of the Ft. Lauderdale Schools in 1909. In 1910 he founded The Herald which he published until 1916 when he moved to Deland, FL. A year or two later he moved to CT and worked again as an educator. (Obit. Fort Lauderdale Herald Weekly, Dec. 12, 1919/ Imprints 19.4-2000, p. 124)
James Alexander Henshall, MD (1836-1925)
Author who wrote about Florida and his 1879 & 1882 visits to the New River. Was a leading authority on black bass fishing.
Benjamin W. Hedrick
Listed in the R. L. Polk & Co. Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as a Hallandale blacksmith.
R W Hewell
Listed in the R. L. Polk & Co. Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as operating a general store in Pompano.
George T. and Nellie (Williams) Hinkel / Hinkle (c. 1846 - July, 1922, Fort
Sheriff, Indian Scout, Farmer, Officer and Grocery Store Owner.
George T. Hinkel was married three times. First to A. C. "Annie or Nina" Robinson of Chillicothe, MO on 7 May 1879; 2nd to Lula Phelps a girl from Harvey, KS in 1899 and 3rd to Nellie Williams in 1901.
Williams defeated Bat Masterson to become a 2-term Sheriff of Ford County, KS (near Dodge City). Settled in Fort Lauderdale in 1911. First registered to vote in Broward County as a Democrat in 1914 when he listed himself as a 69 year old farmer. Opened The West Side Grocery Store on NW Fourth St. in Fort Lauderdale in 1916 which his wife, Nellie, continued to operate after his death in 1922. They are listed in the 1918 and 1922 City Directories. Nellie registered to vote as a Democrat in 1928 and listed herself as a housewife from Iowa. She appears on the 1930 Census for Fort Lauderdale.
(See obit Fort Lauderdale Herald, July 28, 1922. Reprinted in Imprints 22.1 - 2003, p. 24, Fort Lauderdale News of
Colon "Col." D (c. 1879 - May 15, 1958)
and Lena Florence (Mizell) Hinson (c. 1870 Winter Park - unknown, FL)
Colon is buried South Lawn Cemetery, Pompano.
Truck farmer, realtor, Pompano Cemetery caretaker & Pres. Pompano Board of Trade (1915).
Settled in Pompano in the early 1900s to truck farm. Colon and Lena married around 1903 and had a daughter, Helen A. Hinson born around 1908. Lena was the daughter of Judge John Randolph Mizell, the first Mayor of Pompano.
James Malcolm (May 18, 1872 Wake Forest, NC - Feb. 14, 1947)
and Louise (Sparkman) Holding (Dec. 24, 1889 Tampa - Dec. 12, 1965)
Both buried Dania Memorial Park Cem.
Superintendent. Celery grower at Pembroke, tomato & pineapple farmer at Dania (120 acres), owned a large packing house in Dania & 40-acre citrus farm in Hallandale and was also a realtor. James Malcolm Holding became the first superintendent of public instruction in Broward County after the Broward County School Board was formed Oct. 15, 1915. Greek & Math instructor at Mars Hill College (Weston, NC).
James Malcolm Holding was the son of Isom Tolbert and Lucy Ann (Spencer) Holding who raised him on the large Holding Plantation on the north half of Wake Forest. Graduated from Wake Forest before teaching at Mars Hill College. Arrived in Hallandale c. 1902. Louise Sparkman was the sister of Mrs. Parish, the family where James boarded in Dania. They married on June 28, 1911 and homesteaded the former Parish boarding house on South Federal Hwy. Four children: (See First Families of Broward, Imprints 10-3-4, 1991.)
W. F. Holleman
Listed in the R. L. Polk & Co. Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as a operating or working at a general store in Hallandale
Listed in R. L. Polk & Co., Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as the manager of the Tarpon Hotel.
Hurricane Victims (data
from resources of the Broward County Historical Commission)
Sept. 17, 1926, Fort Lauderdale Daily News: SIGNALS WARNING OF STORM GIVEN BETWEEN KEY WEST AND JUPITER WEATHER BUREAU REPORTS 'VERY SEVERE STORM' OF HURRICANE FORCE CENTERING OFF BAHAMA ISLANDS; COAST MAY ESCAPE
Commissioner. Served on the first Board of County Commissioners for Broward County.
Washington "Wash" Jenkins
One of the two first post Seminole War settlers to our area. Wash Jenkins became the keeper of the House of Refuge for Shipwrecked Sailors (Dec. 7, 1876 - Nov. 27, 1882) built by the U.S. Life Saving Service (later part of the Coast Guard). The House of Refuge was located in the Birch State Park area of Fort Lauderdale Beach, and until 1917, the only way to the mainland was by ferry. The Refuge served as a shelter to shipwrecked soldiers who were fortunate to survive. It is not known how many sailors were helped by the keepers. Wash Jenkins was succeeded by Edwin R. Bradley as the second keeper in 1883. He only served about six months and was followed by John Thomas Peacock.
John G. Johnson (Mar 21, 1870 Howard, Nemaha, NE - May 12, 1953 Fort Lauderdale)
and Minnie Engle (c. 1875 - Dec. 12, 1949)
Both buried at Memorial Gardens, Fort Lauderdale.
Building Contractor who built the Broward County Courthouse. John G. Johnson was the son of Chester Johnson and his second wife, Sarah Ann Olds. He married Minnie Engle, daughter of P.H. Engle on Nov. 28, 1893 in Union, Cass Co., NE. After the family farm burned down, the family moved to Elgin, NE where they farmed. In 1907, they moved to Baldwin, KS where he began constructing buildings including some on the campus of Baker University. When Pres. Taft visited Baker, John Johnson was asked to reinforce the pew where he would worship on a Sunday. Settled in Florida in 1925 where he built homes, hotels and apartments from Palm Beach to Coral Gables. In 1928, he build the Broward County Courthouse. John and Minnie were active in the Methodist Church.
John H. Jones (d. Sep. 1921)
Died while connecting electric wires on an electric pole. Buried in Miami.
Electrician, employed by the Miami Elec. & Power Co. Survived by his wife and five children. (See Imprints 18.4-1999, p. 108).
J. J. Joyce
Commissioner. Served on the first Board of County Commissioners for Broward County.
Tommy Jumper (d. Dec. 26, 1903)
Diedat the Old Jumper Camp at edge of Everglades
According to his obituary in the Miami Metropolis of Jan. 2, 1903, Tommy Jumper was the grandson of the "late chief". He had recently traveled to Valdosta, GA for treatment of consumption accompanied by brother Willie and I.W. Marshall. He then proceeded to travel to St. Augustine where a Dr. Worley performed an operation. En route to South Florida, he said he didn't want to be cut any more and preferred the "big sleep". The article said it was not known where he was buried.
J. R. Keene
Listed in the R. L. Polk & Co. Florida Gazetteer of 1925 as a railroad express and telegraph agent in Pompano.
Thomas Simpson Kennedy (1859 Goldsboro, NC - 1939)
Pharmacist & Fort Lauderdale's first Doctor. Thomas Kennedy settled in S. Florida after serving in the Spanish-American War. As a pharmacist, he cared for patients stricken during the yellow fever epidemic and caught the illness himself. Was later charged with practicing medicine without a license, but the charges were dropped & he was paid for his service by the government. He used the money to attend a medical college and returned in 1901 to serve as the area's first doctor.
Edwin T. King & family
Fort Lauderdale's first building contractor and boat builder. Traveled to Miami before Fort Lauderdale was incorporated to request a teacher. One of the requirements was to provide at least 9 children and a schoolhouse, and in exchange Miami would provide a teacher and building supplies. The teacher was Miss Ivy Julia Cromartie who later married Frank Stranahan (see their bios). Among the many things that Edwin and the King family did, was the platting and establishment of Evergreen Cemetery from a portion of 90 acres that they owned. The Kings later sold 12 acres of this historical property to the City of Fort Lauderdale in 1917. Many early pioneers are buried at Evergreen Cemetery. Some of King's historical structures include these properties at the Old Fort Lauderdale Village and Museum.
- 1899 Built a one-room school house with Dade County Pine (original structure gone, but replica exists)
- 1905 The New River Inn, Broward County's oldest hotel for Philemon Bryan.
- 1905 The Philemon Bryan House
- 1907 King-Cromartie House, with 2nd floor addition in 1911
Dr. Cooper C. Kirk (b. 1921 Tyler, MO - d. Aug. 1989 Florida)
Buried Evergreen Cemetery.
Yardman, Teacher, Author and Broward County's First Historian (served 19 years). Cooper Kirk was the son of Rebecca and John Kirk who moved to Fort Lauderdale in October 1926. Graduated from Ft. Lauderdale HS and served with Patton's Third Army. After his parents passed away, he served again in the Navy on the aircraft Randall during WW II in the Pacific. Married Nella Housward in 1949 and started the Standard Lawn Service Company. At the age of 38, he enrolled at the University of Miami where he earned a bachelors and a master's degree in US History. Then he earned his doctoral degree at Florida State University. Later he taught at FAU, Piper HS and Deerfield Beach HS. In 1970, the Broward Historical Commission was formed and Dr. Kirk became the official historian and contributor to the Broward Legacy, the Commission's publication. He also wrote a book on William Lauderdale. (Reference: Obit News and Sun-Sentinel August 31, 1989, p. 7B)
Rebecca "Becca" Kirtman (c. 1987 - Aug. 30, 2003)
Cheerleader from Nova High School who passed away at the age of 16 in a car crash. Becca started a project to provide formal clothing for students who couldn't afford clothing for proms. A charity, Becca's Closet, was started in her name & has spread across the United States & into at least 3countries.
Eugene Theodore “Cap” (1876 Cape Canaveral, FL - 1964)
and Lola (Saunders) Knight (d. Jan. 1989)
Owner of Club Unique/Cap's Place Restaurant. Son of James M. and Mary (Burnham) Knight. Mary was the daughter Mills Olcott Burnham who was Federally appointed keeper of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse in 1853. "Cap" ran away at 13 and worked as a messboy on a lighthouse tender. Married Bertha Lydia Armour, the daughter of James Arango Armour. They had 3 children but divorced. In 1916, married Lola Saunders who became a school teacher to children of the Hillsboro lighthouse families. During Prohibition, the couple became rum runners. In 1926, they settled near Tom at the Hillsboro Inlet, but moved inland in 1928. Cap bought a barge that had been used by Flagler in the construction of his Overseas Railroad. He floated it ashore and stripped it, finally turning it into a restaurant that is still in existence. In January 1942, Churchill and Roosevelt met secretly at the Stettinius Villa, located across the Intracoastal and Cap Knight catered the food. The restaurant has a colorful history and is Broward County's oldest restaurant. For more information, see their website at www.capsplace.com.
Thomas Knight (1879 at the Cape Canaveral Light House)
The second Hillsboro lighthouse keeper who served 1911 - 1936. Prior to coming to Hillsboro, he worked as an assistant keeper at Cape Canaveral, FL where he was born and where his grandfather, Capt. Miles Burnham had become the first permanent keeper.
Ann Kolb (d. July 26, 1981)
Environmentalist and award winning journalist. First woman to be elected to the Broward County Commission in 1947, and the first woman to become Chairman in 1980. Florida Wildlife's Conservationist of the Year in 1977. Responsible for passage of a building moratorium on 61,000 acres of wetlands in South Florida. Namesake of Ann Kolb Nature Center at West Lake Park. She passed away of cancer in 1981, and in 1984, land was purchased to create West Lake Park near Sheridan Street, a 1,500 acre mangrove preserve that is also the largest mangrove preserve on the East Coast of Florida.
Major William Lauderdale (Early 1780s Sumner Co., TN - May 11, 1838 Baton Rouge, LA)
Fort Lauderdale's namesake. Descended from the Maitland Clan of Scotland who were the Lords of Lauderdale, and related to the Scottish Royal family. Served in the Tennessee Militia, Second Seminole War, Creek War & War of 1812. Built a wooden fort in 1838 at the mouth of the New River during the Seminole Wars. The fort was abandoned and served as a home for army deserters and runaway slaves. It was later rebuilt twice in a different site. In total, there were three forts by the name of Fort Lauderdale.
Charles "Surlie" & Frankee Lewis
Bahamian brothers who established a plantation along the New River in 1793 and who were considered the first permanent settlers of European descent in Broward County, along with their sons and wives. At the time of their settlement, Florida was under Spanish control, and it is thought that they provided a waystation for Indians and British who wished to overthrow the Spanish. An expedition was sent to investigate, but King Charles IV issued an order to let the familybe. They raised a variety of fruit including coconuts, guavas, limes, oranges, and sugar apples until about 1824, at which time members of the family settled along Biscayne Bay. The exact location of their homestead is not known, but it was in the vicinity of Rio Vista or the Colee Hammock neighborhoods.
Robert Kimball & Mary Jane (Johnston) Lowry
Manager of the Chamber of Commerce, Real estate agent & 23 year Director of Purchasing for the City of Fort Lauderdale. Interim Fort Lauderdale City Manager 1957-58. Veteran of WWII (US Navy, Pacific arena). Robert was the son of Dr. Robert S. and Helen Jane (Kimball) Lowry. Wife Mary Jane was the daughter of Dr. John L. Johnston. Two sons. (See First Families of Broward, Imprints 14.2-1995.)
Dr. Robert S (Jan. 1880 Butler, PA - Feb. 1931 Ashtabula, OH)
& Helen Jane (Kimball) Lowry
Robert died of pneumonia. Both buried in the Lowry family plot in Butler, PA.
Second resident physician of Fort Lauderdale. Wife Helen was a teacher & employee of the Broward Tax Collector's Office.
Robert was a 1904 graduate of the Univ. or Pennsylvania Medical College. Interned in Philadelphia before moving to south Florida in 1910 and was established at the time the city incorporated on March 27, 1911. Practiced on Wall St. from their home. Joined the US Naval Reserve and was called to active duty in 1917. Served until 1925. Helen Jane Kimball was an art teacher at Dania HS. 1913-14. After her husband's death, Helen Lowry taught kindergarten before becoming employed by the Broward Tax Collector's office. One child: Robert Kimball Lowry. (See First Families of Broward, Imprints 14.2-1995.)
Church L. Lyons (1851 GA - 1927)
and Laura Churchill (Solomon) Lyons
Church is buried at Pompano South Lawn Cemetery.
Church was the son of John and Louisa (Franklin) Lyons of Clattsville, Lowndes Co., GA. In 1900, he was listed on the Clyattsville, Lowndes Co. GA Census as a farmer (widower). He was living with his mother Louisa and children Henry and Laura, along with 2 servants. Settled in Madison Co., FL sometime after 1900 and then in Pompano in 1904 where he farmed tomatoes on a 5 acres. In 1910 he was listed on the Pompano Census as a truck farmer living with children Clinton, Henry and Laura. Church Lyons age 65 (he & his parents all born GA) was listed as a truck farmer on the 1920 Pompano Census as a widower. Living with him were son Henry b. GS and his wife Lena b. FL. (See Imprints 12.3-1993, First Families of Broward.)
John U. Lloyd
Broward County's Attorney for 30 years. Responsible for the public acquisition of 251 acres of beachfront property along Whiskey Creek which now bears his name, as the John U. Lloyd State Park. Lloyd had the foresight to preserve this historical property which was a site where Seminoles traded with white settlers in the late 1800s, and which was later known as the Colored or Negro Beach.
Owen Lloyd (Dec. 20, 1884 Clay Center, KS - Aug. 11, 1969 Davie, FL)
& Mary (Hammer) Lloyd (Sep. 23, 1897 Rockville, Bates Co., MO.)
Owen Lloyd is buried at Hollywood Memorial Gardens.
Farmer and early settler to Zona (Davie). Owen was the son of John and Grace (________) Lloyd who were Welsh immigrants who settled in Kansas. Settled in Zona (Davie) in 1912 and married Mary Louise Hammer in January 1913. In 1915, the couple moved with son John William to Calhan, CO where son Clifford W. Hammer was born. They then homesteaded in Cicso, UT but returned to Davie in 1924 when water became scarce. The couple had two more children, Phillip and Charles, both born in Davie. (See First Families of Broward, Imprints 3.4, p. 94)
Alexander B. Lowe
Commissioner who served on the first Board of County Commissioners for Broward County.