Published in The Florida Genealogical Research Quarterly Volume 4, Winter 1976-1977 Whole Number 8; continued in Volume 5, 1978 Whole Number 9 Pg. 17
the summer of 1969 at the request of Mrs. Allen (Margaret) Harrop,
Librarian of the Pinellas Park Library, I sifted through a great deal of
memorabilia left to the city at the bequeath of Mrs. Connie Lovelace. (Editor Note,
a member of the Federated Pinellas Park Woman’s Club Mrs. Harrop
and I were aided by
winter of 1969-1970 found us engrossed with laying the groundwork for a
legitimate history of the community. We
began with two of our early citizens,
mention must be made of
#1 opens with the following: “This is “Ab” Bender to identify the pictures, son of
The Florida Association was
incorporated under a charter of the State of
association bought 12,800 acres in
farms were located as Model Farm #1 just west of the Sugar Mill, or what is now
Davis Field. Model Farm #2 was on either
Florida Association, a corporation, was organized by
Although the Pinellas Farms and Pinellas Park were located on the Atlantic Coast railroad, most of the families found the best way to travel to Florida was to go to Baltimore, Maryland where they would board a boat to Jacksonville, Florida and from there come to Pinellas Park by railroad. Many of the farms that were bought by Pennsylvanians were re-sold at the time and the families did not make the trek to Florida or some, upon their arrival found conditions a little too primitive and sold out their holdings and moved to St. Petersburg.
families due to arrive had to be taken care of until their home could be built
so accommodations were provided in the form of the Old Colony Houses. They consisted of two rectangular shaped
buildings one of which served as the dining room and the other as a rooming
house. Mr. and
A partial list of the families who made their home in the Park in the years of 1911-1912 were: (in most instances the name of the wife is excluded, so the assumption is that for the most part each name represents the head of a household.)
Misses May and
The Segee Family
A further identification of some of these people was
offered by “Buzz” and “Ab.” From
The Colony House was the scene of the first church
services and although it served as a
As the farms began to develop they put into use a
steam tractor to which 6, 8 or 10 wagons were attached. This tractor allowed
for a great deal of mobility in gathering sugar cane from various farms to take
to the mill. Soon, a narrow gauge railroad was built to
bring in the cane. It ran from
A number of lovely houses were built in
The first Post Office was in the year 1910 and “Doc”
Vogel was postmaster. It was located in
the hardware store across the tracks from the Railroad Station. Later the post Office was housed in a small
frame building facing south on the present City Hall Parking lot just East of
the Royal Palms Hotel. Incidentally the frame post office building
is now standing on the south side of
In 1912 the first school wzs
built. One room, one story building that
sat across from the present city hall.
This one room housed grades one through eight. In 1915 a four room brick building was built
under the supervision of
The Pinellas Park Drainage District was formed in
1914 with the Florida Association acting as guarantors for the sale of the
The equipment was assembled at
In August of 1914 the area known as
Civic responsibility was assumed in the form of the
first fire truck for the community of 1912.
The two-wheeled chemical tank was housed on
Any attempt at a history of the
 Hillsborough Co., Plat Book 7, p.5.
 Ibid, P.5.
 Hillsborough Co., Plat Book 5, P. 57
 Ibid., 5 p. 57 as interpreted by Fred W. Lawrence, City Engineer, City of Pinellas Park, March 14, 1971.
 Hillsborough Co., Plat Book 7, p. 4.
 Hillsborough Co., Grantor-Grantee Records, A-K.
 Straub, op, Cit., p. 115.
 Op. Cit., Tape #3
 M. G.
 Badger and Bender, op. Cit, Tape #1
and Bender, Tape #2, Interview