St. Mary's Academy This institution under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy will be re-opened for the admission of pupils on the first Monday of September.† The course of Instruction embraces reading, writing, grammar, orthography arithmetic, geography, history, rhetoric, natural philosophy, algebra, geometry, chemistry and astronomy, French, German and Spanish languages; music vocal and instrumental drawing, plain ad ornamental needle work.
Terms per academic year.
Board and tuition (including bed and bedding) payable half yearly in advance, $200.00 pocket money 6.00 clothing, books, postage, material and implements used in the different branches of education, are charges which depend upon circumstances and the direction of parents and guardians.
Extra charges per academic year.
Payable in advance
French Spanish and German each,† $30.00
Piano and use of instrument† $60.00
vocal music†† $80.00
Plan and ornamental needle work will be taught to the pupils boarding at the Academy free of charge. Pupils entering after the commencement of session, will be charged only such portion of it as may remain. No deduction, however can be made for partial absence or the withdrawal of a pupil before the expiration of a session, unless in case of severe illness or dismissal.
The Academic year will close by an Examination and Distribution of Premiums, at which Parents and Guardians are requested to be present.
All letters received and sent are subject to the inspection of the Superior.
Letters of inquiry must be directed to the Superior of St. Mary's Academy, St. Augustine Fla†† St. Augustine Aug 11, 1866.
The Colored People
We are glad to see that some of the Negroes are improving and reclaiming land in the southern part of the City. This shows a highly commendable spirit and one that deserves every encouragement
........ couldn't read†† Sept 8, 1866
We take pleasure in inserting the advertisement of Dr. and Mrs. Myers of their school for young ladies. Dr. Myers was formerly pastor of the Presbyterian church in this city. Soon after the commencement of hostilities he removed to Monticello. His kindness, while there to many of those who were compelled to leave this place, after its occupation by the Federal forces will always be remembered with gratitude.††† Sept 29, 1866
†Saturday Oct 27, 1866
Through the generosity of Dr. Bronson, the plaza is being ornamented with water oaks. They grow so rapidly that in a very few years they will afford a refreshing shade.
Thus far the more brilliant of these meteoric showers have occurred at intervals of thirty three years that of 833 was especially distinguished by the immense number of moving meteors to be seen ant once and for the remarkable size and spender of them. Among the myriads of blazing meteors visible on that occasion one was seen at several places on this continent. It was recognized by several observers by its extraordinary size and brilliancy as well as by the length of time its train remained visible which was about ten minutes.
The meteor displays of 1799 and 1833 were characterized by the fall of meteorites, which rushing towards the surface off the earth with a loud noise, penetrated beneath it several feet. The periodicity of these starry showers is not so definitely as certain with regard to the day as to the year.† They have occurred to a greater or less degree in the months of August and November, from 1833 to 1839; but the most remarkable of them have appeared on the 12th of November, or between that date and the 14th.†
Honor to whom honor is due
The terms of service to which HIS honor, Venancio Sanchez, was elected, as Mayor of the City, expires next week. The City has seldom been so fortunate in her selection of the chief magistrate. If his successor, whoever he may be, will be as devoted to the duties of his office as Mr. Cinches has been there will be no cause of complaint. We regret that the business relations of our worthy Mayor will prevent his being a candidate for a second term.
During his service the relations between the civil and military authorities have been pleasant; necessary improvements have been going on rapidly and considerable has been done to beautify the city and render it attractive. We hope that next year, at least, Mr. Cinches's business affairs will permit him to resume his seat in the chair of office.
(Nove 10, 1866)
Saturday Nov 17, 1866
Mayor Ramon Canova; Aldermen Francis Andreu, John C. Buffington, Fatio Dunham, M. Usina. There was no opposition.
Clerk of the Council October 27, 1866 --- W. Millford Ingram
John C. Buffington was clerk of the circuit court and W. Milford Ingram was the deputy clerk.
†Dr. W. Milford Ingraham was treasurer in account with the Cit of St. Augustine 1866.
St. Augustine Nova 24, 1866
From the unsettled state of affairs in Florida, the past four or five years an impression seems to prevail at he North, that our City is almost inaccessible, or reached with many difficulties. This is not the case. All a traveler has to do is to embark for Savannah and then take the fine Steamer Dictator, the Sylvan Shore, or the Lizzie Baker to Picolata, on the St. John's River, where states are always in waiting for the arrival of the boat, and to take passengers to this City. The distances but eighteen miles, with a fine road, which is overcome with ease in three hours. From the number of strangers now in town we are becoming more generally known.
Mr. John Masters, one of our most industrious citizens has offered to give 12 orange-trees for the ornamentation of the Plaza. they would form a very pretty contrast with the oaks with Dr. Bronson has planted there, and we hope that his generous offer will be accepted.
The repairing of the United States Barracks, and the building of the United States Hospital in our City, is progressing rapidly, which bid fair o be quite ornamental as well as useful. The ringing of the workmanís bell at 6 a.m., is quite an event, which breaks in considerably upon the long settled habits of may who have generally found it to be quite as convenient to commence labor after breakfast, as before, and much more comfortable.
Dec 15, 1866
The works on the barracks are proceeding as rapidly as the procuring of materials will admit. We visited the building last week and were surprised at the progress made by the Superintendent Mr. Davis. He deserves great credit for the skill and energy, displayed in rejuvenating the old St. Francis Barracks.
The Steamer Sylph made its second trip to this place on Sunday bringing a large freight for the Government. We are glad to see attempt made to bring freight direct from Jacksonville, and hope the undertaking will succeed.
An election is hereby ordered to be held at the several precincts of this County on Monday the 31st instant for office of clerk of the Circuit Court of said County, vice John C. Buffington Esq., resigned.
Polls to be opened at 9 o'clock A. M. and closed at 5 o'clock p. m. the following inspectors are appointed for the several precincts. Augustine Precinct No 1 at he County Court Room --- Paul Arnau, Emanuel J. Mediciís, Nicholas Rogero.
Picolata Precinct No 2, at the house o Donate Bravo --- Donato Bravo, Henry Neligan, Francis P Fereira.
Sampson Precinct No. 3, at the house of Alexander Powers - Robert Mickler, Alexander Powers, Paul Sabate.
Moccasin Branch Precinct No 4 at the house of Joseph Masters --- Joseph E. Masters, Manuel Solana, Paul Weedman.
Orange Mills Precinct No 5, at the house of Antonio Baya -- Antonio Baya, Maurico Cinches, Francis L Dancy
Independence Precinct No 6, a the house of William Osteen -†† William Osteen, Virgil R Dupont , John Pellicer.
Rolls-own Precinct at the house of Mateo Solana† -- Mateo Solana, William Durance, D. H. Campbell.
John Lot Phillips, Judge of Probate, St Johns County Fl St Aug Dec 15, 1866
†Saturday Jan 5 1867
The Bishop announced also to the Congregation that the Fair lately held in the city by the colored people in order to raise funds for the enlarging the gallery allotted to them in the Church had produced a net sum of$336 which with small sums yet due may probably reach the figure of 350.
An Election for Clerk of the Circuit Court came off on Monday.† Messs Dunhyam and Segui were he candidates; Segui obtained 12 majority in the City. At the time of writing the county has not been heard from. The result cannot be known until all the returns have come in, owing to the election having been so closely contested in the town.
Special Election† An election is hereby ordered to be held at the several precincts of this County on Monday the 21st Instant for the Office of County Commissioner to fill the vacancy occasioned by the resignation of Ramon Canova Esq.
Saturday Jan 12, 1867
The results of the election in the County have come in, Mr. Fatio Dunham has been elected Clerk of the Circuit court.
On Monday last an election was held for Mayor to fill the vacancy caused y the resignation of Mr. Ramon Canova†† ---- Mr. Paul Arnau was elected.
The Rev. Mr. Quinby, who for some months past has officiated as the Pastor of Trinity Church in this City, has had a call to the Episcopal Church in Monticello, which he has accepted.
The Rev. W. F. Neilds of Freehold, N. J. has been invited to take charge of Trinity church in this City upon the retirement of Mr. Quinby and is expected in a few days.
The Steamer Sylph arrived here o the 9th instant from New Smryna with Oranges and left on the morning of the 10th for Jacksonville and Savannah. She reports the arrival at New Smryna of the Freedmen from South Carolina, under Gen. Ely, comprising eight hundred heads of families. They have taken up land in that vicinity under the Homestead Bill. A land office should be at once established in this City, as the country South of this is well adapted to their wants and conditions..... We learn that large numbers are coming from Georgia and South Carolina seeking small lots of land on the St. John's River.
The property belonging to the estate of Joseph Manucy was sold on Monday at Auction and brought the following prices. The orange grove on St. Francis Street $856.00 House on the corner of St. Francis and Charlotte St $300.00 (One lot adjoining the latter $161.00)
Feb 2, 1867
The Schooner John T. Sprague was successfully launched last Thursday. She seemed very loath to leave her elevated position, and it was only after continual persuasion, by means of ropes, pulley and capstans that she finally started off and slid gracefully into the water. This is the first vessel that has been built here for many years. We wish her and her enterprising builders every success.†
We have also noticed that a school has been opened for the colored children of the place under the superintendence of the Sister of St. Joseph. These Sisters have lately come from France for the purpose of devoting their attention to the moral and religious training of the colored people. It is right to being at the children, and the two races now necessarily in presence of each other can but be benefited by proper instruction and education. We understand that it is a Free school thus leaving no pretext to them to remain in ignorance, and we heard besides that the Sisters intend also soon to open night schools for the grown people, thus to enlarge their sphere of usefulness.
Feb 16, 1867
Schooner Moses Waring now discharging
St. Augustine Examiner† published by Matthias r. Andreu
Saturday March 9, 1867
Rev Mr. Neills pastor of the Episcopal Church, died in this City on last Saturday. He was called to this church last autumn, but was unable to officiate. He fell a victim to consumption.
Active hotels at this time† Florida House owned by J. H. Remer
Magnolia House John C Buffington
At Mrs. Gardners????
Saturday March 17, 1867
Among the events of the past week we regret to have to record the death of Rev Wilbur F. Nields in this city, on Saturday morning last.
Mr Nields was a native of West Chester Pa and was aged about 27 years. His collegiate education was completed when he was yet to young by two years to enter the ministry, allowing the usual number of years for ecclesiastical study. He therefore, as his taste led him to literature, engaged in the study of medicine for these two years. He then commenced his studies for the ministry in the Episcopal Church these completed, he was called to the Rectorship of St Peters Church, at Freehold, NJ This position he accepted, and retained with great honor to himself and gratification to his congregation until January last. In January 1866, he found his health began to fail under the arduous labors he imposed upon himself, and his Physician advised his visiting St. Augustine for the purpose of rest and recuperation. In company with some friends he came here in Feb 1866, and remained here until the following May. He then returned to his parish at the North, and in a measure resumed the charge thereof. His health did not materially improve during the summer. During the last fall or early winter, he received a call from Trinity Church St. Augustine, to which congregation he had greatly endeared himself, during the preceding winter, by his pleasant manners and warm Christian earnestness. the call was accepted by him as he had then fully persuaded himself that he could not possibly survive the rigorous winters at the North. This was in December last. Having passed the festive season of the Holidays with his old congregation, he set out, on the 7th of January following for his new home in our city. The exposures of the journey were too great for him. And by the time he reached Savannah he was so ill that his family were telegraphed to, that he required their immediate attention. After a few days, however spent in Savannah he felt well enough to resume his journey hitherward. Before he reached here, he was so ill that it was best for him not to risk the long and fatiguing ride over from Picolata, and advised his going ashore for a few days at Green Cove Spring, on St. John's river. This proposition was acceded to. But he failed to improve while there, and at the suggestion of some friends he was removed to our city arriving here on the 3d day of February. He went at once to the Magnolia House, where through the immeasurable kindness of the family of his former friend
"Col. Saml Buffington (now "deceased) he had the offer of a "Home."† A "home" indeed, it proved to him too: Had he been in the midst of his own family, Mr. Nields could not have received kinder or more devoted attention and care, then he received at the hands of Mrs. Buffington, and other eager friends both in and out of the congregation. Once or twice after his arrival here, he was able to take a short walk; but the most of the days he was obliged to be satisfied with sitting on the warm plaza at the
'Hotel. It was evident that he was failing rapidly.† Day by day he grew weaker. On Thursday, Feb 28th he sat out on the piazza all day, but complained of great weakness. That night he rested badly. He never left his bed again alive. During the whole of the day and night of Friday it was easy to be seen that he could not possibly last much longer. His cough which had been very troublesome had almost ceased from sheer weakness. Saturday morning he seemed to be free from suffering. His cough which had been very troublesome had almost ceased from sheer weakness. Saturday morning he seemed to be free from suffering. His cough had ceased entirely. His strength was simply exhausted; and, at a few minutes before eleven o'clock in the morning, surrounded by numerous sorrowing friends, he breathed no more. His death was as calm and gentle as the breathing of a sleeping infant. And so he went to heaven.
Shortly after his death, the vestry of Trinity Church, in a body, visited the Hotel, and made arrangements for the funeral; to take place next day (Sunday) at four o clock P. M. At that hour, the procession moved from the Hotel to the Church. It was sad to see there, the festive Christmas greens removed, and the dark drapery of mourning in their stead. Rev Dr Morton of Philadelphia and Rev Dr Hull of N. Y. conducted the funeral services. The former, in his subsequent address, spoke of the deceased his life and death in the most beautiful and touching manner. The services over at the Church, the procession again moved to the Cemetery outside the city gates. It was pleasing on this occasion to see how great an interest was felt in our young friend; for at least a hundred yards, the whole street was filled with people, following him to his last resting place. The services, by Dr. Morton, at the grave were very solemn and sad.
Mr. Nields loss will be deeply felt, not only among his friends at the North, but by the people of St. Augustine; for he had endeared himself to everybody.
Dr. Morton very truthfully remarked, "None knew him but to love him;" "None named him but to praise."
March 30, 1867
Jacksonville FLA† The force of the battle-axe has at last been felt in this town. Yesterday Colonel Sprague arrived here from St. Augustine, and through Colonel Mahoney, of the Freedmen's Bureau, informed the citizens that the town was, from this date virtually under martial law. The Sergeant of the Corporation was instructed to inform the Mayor of the fact, also to state, at the election advertised to take place the first of April for municipal officers, Negroes were to be allowed to vote.
Our people are not prepared for this sudden change, but as it is the will of Sherman & Co, against the vox populi of the Southern Sates, they bow an humble obedience.
An ice house is being erected in the grounds of the Florida House. It will be kept filled during the summer. Last year, through the instrumentality of Col. Sprague the city was supplied with ice at very reasonable rates; but previously we were debarred that luxury, except at exorbitant prices. Ice is exceedingly desirable here and we hope that the proprietors of the hotel will be enabled to furnish the citizens with it.
Mrs. Harriet Beecher Stowe, the writer of that tissue of lies, "Uncle "Tom's Cabin," is in Florida. She passed through St Marys, Ga, last Saturday on her way to St. Augustine. We suggest that the lady examine into the condition of the Negroes in ye ancient city, and write another book. If a hero cannot be found there, she can come to this country and adopt the accursed murderer, Green, who could be made a little God of by her facile pen.† --- New Era
April 6, 1867
Head Quarters District of Florida, St. Augustine Fla, April 1st 1867 Special Orders, No. 1
1. The Head Quarters of this District, Office of the Assistant Commissioner of the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and abandoned lands, and the Head Quarters of the 7th U S Infantry, are not established at St. Augustine Fla and in future all communications for the Commanding Officer or the Assistant Commissioner, will be address ed to† that place.
By order of Col John T. Sprague
signed† E C Woodruff
Brevet Major USAAAAG Official
Gen Schofield has issued orders Nos. 2 and 3, calling attention to two recent acts of Congress, one forbidding whipping or maiming of the person as a penalty for crime, and the other disbanding and forbidding militia organizations in the Southern States. The following extract from a recent act of Congress is given for the information and government of those concerned:
That all militia, forces nor organized or in service in either of the States of Virginia North Carolina SC Georgia FL AL LO MI and Texas be forthwith disbanded; and that the further organization arming or calling into service of the said militia forces, or any part thereof, is hereby prohibited, under any circumstances whatever, until the same shall be authorized by congress.
April 13, 1867
General Orders No 2
The foregoing order is published for the information of the citizens of the State of Florida. Martial Law is not in force throughout the State.
The Posts of Key West and Tortugas are included in this Command. Reports and Returns will be made to these Head Quarters
By order Col John T Sprague†
E.C. Woodruff Brevet Major USA AAAG
Special Orders No. 22
William J Reyes is hereby appointed as Locating Agent to relieve C. F. Hopkins and is assigned to the Counties of Nassau Clay Duval Putnam and St. Johns; ??Post office address, St. Augustine FL
By order of Col John T Sprague
Rev Joseph Crews, of the Methodist Episcopal Church holds religious services at the Methodist Chapel (colored) every Sunday at eleven o'clock a.m. and at half past three and seven o'clock p.m.
Mr. Crews, desire s us to state that during the week he holds himself in readiness, to take contracts for house and ornamental painting.
We have known Joe for several years and can recommend him as a good workman and an industrious and well behaved man.
April 13, 1867
We publish an order which is of much interest o the Citizens of Florida. The appointment of Locating Agents throughout the State for the purpose of locating lands under the Homestead ?Bill, will relieve Emigrants and Freedmen in the settlement of may vexed questions regarding vexing questions regarding fractional lines. ....We see that our townsman C. F. Hopkins Esq who surveyed the Country South is designated as one of the locating agents his office will be in this City. What is now required is the establishment of a land office here. The lands in middle and west Florida are mostly entered, and public attention is directed to the Counties of 'Sumter, Hernando, Hillsboro, Polk, Brevard, Orange, Volusia, Manatee and Dade. The Land office in this City would facilitate the entering of land, and relieve citizens the expenses incident to a tedious journey to the office in Tallahassee
CF Hopkin - Counties of Nassau Clay Duval Putnam, and St Johns post office address St Augustine Fla.
April 20, 1867
A Soda Fountain has been established by Mr. E B Usina, in Charlotte Street. This cool, foaming drink is a great luxury in summer; we hope that Mr. Usina will receive enough stamps to keep it running.
We are gratified to learn that the Head Quarters of the District of Florida is to be continued in this City, and that General Sprague is to remain in command of the State. His long acquaintance with the people of Fl, his well tried Union sentiments and the acceptable manner in which his duties have been performed during the eighteen months past, in bring order out of chaos from the conclusion of hostilities to the present time, gives assurance, that in the reconstruction we may look for harmony and success. The military commander of a State is brought immediately in contact with the people, and it requires on his part sagacity and forbearance to control the discordant element and to encounter conflicting opinions and the prejudices of partisan feeling.
General Pope is very acceptable as commander of the District. During the Florida War he was well known as the Topographical Engineer upon the staff of Major General Worth, and none were called to the side of that Chieftain who did not combine the elements of the soldier and the citizen. ....Let us then give our Military Commanders a generous and cordial support.
April 27, 1867
from the Florida Times April 17th
The Union Club composed of about fifty colored citizens of St Augustine and which has been in existence a year, held a meeting last week with the expectation of being addressed by Colonel Hart. In his absence the meeting was addressed by John W. "Price, Esq., and other true Union men, who had been invited to attend The colored people were informed of the provisions of the new law and earnestly counseled to conduct themselves quietly and respectfully and to put faith in no promises or pledges of aspiring office seekers, but act honestly and independently, according to their own best convictions of right and justice. The following resolutions were adopted with gratifying enthusiasm.
Resolved by the colored citizens of St. Augustine, that we own a paramount allegiance o the Government of the United States and to the loyal people everywhere over the land, who have given us our freedom, and declared by their actions as well as their words, that they are the true friends of the colored men's rights
Resolved, That we cordially approve the Reconstruction Bill of Congress which is based upon the broad principles of Republican freedom and of national justice and by means of which we hope to secure those civil and political rights which belong to us as free citizens of this Republic.
Resolved, That we will vote for no class or set of men who voluntarily took part in the rebellion, and who come to us with oily words of promise, and with faithless pledges of future friendship, and that we will support only those candidates for State office, whose loyalty has been tested in the dark days of our country's peril and misfortune.
May 18, 1867
Siladonio Pellicer has been nominated by the Collector as keeper of the Light House on Anastasia Island.
Owing to the report of the two officers of Gen. Grant's staff who recently visited this post the Head Quarters have been ordered to be removed to Jacksonville. Verily nothing is stable in military affairs.
May 18, 1867
Encouraged by solicitation for several citizens, I will establish a School on St. George Street, near the house of Wm. Rayes to be opened on the 18th of May. All the branches of a thorough English education will be taught, and it will be my aim by strict attention and discipline to lead he pupils to a fast advancement in their studies.
Fees for tuition will be for beginners, $4 per quarter, for advanced pupils, $6 per quarter; for Latin and Spanish lessons, $2 per quarter will be added to the above, half of the fees to be paid at the beginning and the other half at the end of each quarter.
A subscription list is opened at the store of George Greeno and R. V. Balsann
George Ginople† St. Augustine , May 11, 1867
General Order No 6
In order to insure peace and security and to maintain and execute the civil and military law throughout the State of Florida the following counties are defined, the commanders of which will report to these Headquarters, monthly, the condition of their commands, and at all times report promptly the infraction of law, and take in custody all disturbers of the peace.\
St. Johns, Volusia, Orange, Brevard, Dade
Post commander at St. Augustine Fla
The St Augustine, Newmansville and Tampa Bay, land offices are to be consolidated at Tallahassee, Fla
The side wheel steamer Plato now repairing at Charleston, will be ready by the middle of next month to take her place in a new line, running between Savannah and St. Augustine making weekly trips from each port. She will be commanded by Capt. Rennie who is well knows in the Florida trade.
We do not doubt but that she will have s large share of the freights and passengers going to and from the "Ancient City", besides offering inducements to many of our citizens to take a trip that way, to enjoy a sea voyage and also look at the oldest city on the continent.† --Savannah Advertiser
June 8, 1867
This has been a week of incidents in the chronicles of the Ancient City On Sunday we record the arrival in port of the US Revenue Propeller Nansemond, the Steamers Sylvanshore, Sylph, and the beautiful hast sailing Yacht of Mr. dickerson President of the Florida Rail-road.
The mansion known as the "Cobb House" recently bought by Mr. Gilbert of New York; but occupied, during the war as a Hospital has been so changed, by skillful hands that, as we passed by there, the other day we scarcely recognized it. It is now perhaps the handsomest place, in the County.
The interior of Trinity church has been renovated; the wood wok has been very prettily grained; and the seats have been re-cushioned and the floors carpeted; the organ, which had been sent to Charleston for repairs, has been returned and its sweet notes will be again heard, next Sunday.
in the Catholic church, a new Galey has been elected, for the use of the colored people. The funds, raised at the colored Fair, last winter, were used for this purpose. The Gallery supplies a want which has long been felt.
The beautiful little Schooner of the above name has again arrived in our harbor, after a brief absence to Charleston. She came in Monday last. We claim the Col John T. Sprague, as peculiarly our own, having been built here by here enterprising and gentlemanly owners Messrs Allen and Hernandez. We are glad to learn that she is doing well. May success ever attend her.
June 15, 1867
The Steamboat Taminend Capt. Springer which arrived here Monday lst on her first trip, struck the St. Johns. Bar on Monday while returning to Jacksonville and went to pieces. We are glad to announce that no lives were lost. this boat was condemned some years ago as unfit for cost service.
A clergyman gave a toast that was not very gallant at† a late fireman's celebration:† Our fire engines† May they be like old maids, ever ready, but never wanted.
July 6, 1867†
St Mary's Academy
Those of our citizens who did not attend the exhibition of the School Sisters of Mercy can have no idea of what they lost. Nothing can be pleasanter to anyone who has anything of the human about him, than to see children innocent and cheerful enjoying the festivities of the breaking up of a school. The speeches and dialogues recited. The songs sung and the pieces of music excellent played, showed to the minds of the most prejudiced that they Sisters have done all that any could do to train the minds of those entrusted to their charge in a way that besides making them graceful and accomplished also makes them intellectual. The joy of the children and the anxious looks of the parents as each child stepped forward to take its part strongly contrasted and showed to a stranger that S. Augustine society was bound by the strongest ties, namely domestic happiness.
There was but one thing to mar the pleasant occasion and that was the absence of our former beloved Father Aubriel, who would have so much delighted in the joyous scene.
For the Examiner
4th of July 1867 in St Augustine Florida
Dear Examiner I give below an account of the celebration in this City held at the Court House. The Declaration of Independence was read by Mr. Ek Foster Jr Collector of this Port; following which an Oration was delivered, by N Usher Esq. US District Attorney, ad the concluding service of Prayer and Benediction by Father Marogna of the Catholic Church.
The Union Club *(colored) was present and participated in the celebration and paraded the streets under the Marshal-ship of Rev. Joseph Crews; and afterward as I learn partook of a dinner at their Club Room and wound up with a grand dance at night.
The 7th US Infantry Band was in attendance and enlivened the occasion with appropriate music at 12 m a salute was fired in commemoration of the day.†† OBSERVER
Mr. Wm J. Reyes of our city and one of the locating Agents of the Freedman's Bureau has in three days located 43 families on lands in Putnam County.
St Mary's Academy, St Augustine FLA
This Institution under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy, will be re-opened for the admission of Pupils on Monday 9th of September.
The course of Instruction embraces Reading, Writing, Grammar, Orthography, Arithmetic, Geography, History, Rhetoric, Natural Philosophy, Algebra, Geometry, Chemistry and Astronomy; French, German and Spanish languages; Music vocal and instrumental; Drawing, Plain and ornamental needle work.
Terms per Academic year
Board and Tuition (including bed and bedding) payable half yearly in advance $200.00
pocket money $6.00 clothing, books, postage material and implements used in the different branches of education are charges which depend upon circumstances and the direction of parents and guardians.
Extra charges per academic year
payable in advance
French Spanish and German each $30.00
Piano and use of Instrument $60.00
Vocal Music 480?0
Plain and ornamental needlework will be taught to the pupils boarding at the Academy free of charge. Pupils entering after the commencement of session will be charged only such portion of it as may remain. No deduction, however, can be made for partial absence, or the withdrawal of a pupil before the expiration of a session, unless in case of severe illness or dismissal.
The Academic year will close by an Examination and Distribution of Premiums at which Parents and Guardians are requested to be present.
All letters received and sent are subject to the inspection of the Superior.
Letters of inquiry must be directed to the Superior of St. Mary's Academy, St Augustine FLa
St. Augustine, August 17, 1867.
August 24, 1867
Right Rev Bishop Verot administered the sacrament of Confirmation on Sunday last at the Cathedral with all the impressing ceremonies which in the Catholic ritual attend this solemn act of divine worship. There were fifty-two persons confirmed early all children born in this place. The greater number consisted of young girls under the care of the Sisters of Mercy and they approached the altar with a modesty and air of piety which bespoke loudly the successful efforts of the good Sisters in training them to virtue and devotion. We noticed also a good number of colored boys and colored girls who had been prepared by the Sisters of St Joseph and showed by their way of acting that they had not frequented their schools in vain ....Before leaving (the Bishop) assigned the Sisters of St. Joseph to take charge of the boys schools which have been somewhat neglected since he departure of the Brothers during the war. We have no doubt the Sisters will meet with success in this new branch of service ad we hope to see soon the Brother house which has for some time back been in the silence of death, teem again with lively and thriving boys who will learn the rudiments of knowledge the far more important act of conducting themselves well.
To Tax Collectors
The tax of three dollars on polls of Freedmen belongs o the General Revenue Fund; but the additional tax of one dollar is a specific tax, and is intended for the support of Common Schools for Freedman. It is therefore necessary that you should collect this latter tax in cash, and report the names of all who pay it or have paid. The returns for last are very defective and a more particular statement must be made and sent to the Comptroller. This year more care must be taken in collecting and reporting this tax. Send up a list of all who pay.
John Beard Comptroller
August 31, 1867
The following is the whole number of Registered votes in St. Johns Count to August 21 1867†
Married On Wednesday evening August 28th 1867 at the Cathedral in this City, by Rev Demetrus Marogna, Michael Sanchez Usia to Blacida Daughte of John Masters, all of this City. We congratulate the happy couple ad express the hope that their future may be one bright page of love and happiness.
September 14, 1867
While the existence of Military rule is unpleasant to any race of people. Still much is done to render it palatable to the people and entitle it to their respect when those in command desire to do only what is just and good for the citizens. Col Martin the Commandant of this Post has always done this and when by the laws of Congress he was compelled to appoint a Mayor in place of Mr. Arnau resigned. He did not select one who was a stranger amongst us. But took one who for twenty-five years has been allied and identified with every city improvement or movement. Mr. Burt, the appointee, we are sure will fill the place to the entire satisfaction of all. No better appointment could have been made.
The City Point, Dictator, Sylven Shore Lizzy Baker, Darlington and Hatty Brock are the Steamers that have made arrangements to lad at Picolata on the route to Palatka from Jacksonville, during the coming season. This will give us a steamer daily, which, with the well conducted Stage line, now in preparation, our City will be in daily communication with Savannah.
We learn that Company F 7th US Infantry Lieut Bomford, Commanding is ordered to this Post from Tallahassee with all the invalid and sick, and that Lieut Col Flint 7th Infantry is to relieve Captain & Brvt. Lieut. Col Martin in command of this Post who, with his company proceeds to Tallahassee to take charge of that station.
Died in this City on Friday the 13th of September of consumption after an illness of several months, Emanuel J Rogero son of Alberto Rogero aged 22 years and one month.
The contemplation of the close of life always sad is the more painful when associated with those who have passed away while just budding into manhood Tis like the fading of the flower at the moment when the leaves are unfolding.
A dutiful son, a affectionate brother, and a warm friend, Emanuel with his moral qualities, quiet disposition ad may excellencies of heart, won the regard and affection of all who knew him. To the bereaved family we tender our sincere sympathies. Theirs is the truly sweet consolation which enter the heart and like a never failing ever flowing fountain fills the soul with a holy quiet affording the delightful contemplation that those who are gone before are numbered with the pious dead.
It has pleased God to remove him to a better world and a higher state of existence. the material tie is broken but the spiritual, the immortal, remains. His virtues cannot die; they shine with increased and still increasing brightness.
Saturday Sept 21, 1867
We are happy to chronicle the return to our city of the Rev. Mr. Reynolds. He is looking remarkably well and we hope his health will permit him to renew the good he is already doing in our midst.
We understand most of our citizens at the north; will occupy their residences for the winter next month.
Nov 9, 1867
It is some time since we have said anything of our City ad its improvements; and we know that our readers, especially the absent ones, take a lively interest in all that transpires here. We, therefore, take pleasure in saying that our ancient town seems to have shake off its lethargy, in some measure. A great deal of property has changed hands within the last twelve months. What is known as the "North City," is decidedly looking up and no doubt will soon become the garden spot of the vicinity. Major W. W. Van Ness has recently purchased he Cottage near the Sea, north of the fort. He has repaired it in beautiful style and is enclosing the grounds. Judge W. Howell Robinson has also purchased "The Promised Land" commonly known as "Moses". We understand that he intends to speedily erect a spacious mansion on that desirable location. Our friends Mr. C Pomar and Mr. M. Masters also are among the newcomers in the North City and are there rearing their family altars. This is a good move. If the City is extended northward, we can there have wide streets, beautified by shade trees. The Barracks which have just been completed are an ornament to the town; too much pause cannot be given to M Davis the Superintendent; and to Quartermaster Logan. The Government should certainly, by some means, show that it appreciates the services of such an officer as Lieut. Logan, for none look better to its interests. The Court House is also being put in repair, under contract by Capt. Davis. It has long needed it and we are glad to see the work begun.
A large commodious Hospital is being built south of the Barracks. There are also several new buildings going up in the southern part of the City, prominent amount which is a large house just north of the Presbyterian church belonging to Mr. H Neligan, intended for a boarding house; also another on the Bay, being built for Dr Von Balsan. The Doctor is one of our most enterprising citizens and we are glad to see signs of prosperity with him. Buena Esperanza has been purchased by Mr. W. Ward. He has repaired the house and is beautifying the grounds by setting our an orange grove. St. Augustine has not also the advantage of the saw mill which is kept in constant operation by our enterprising townsman, Mr. Reyes.
We have said that the inhabitants of St Augustine were waking up; but on one point they are still lamentably asleep and that point is the value of the Press. We have struggled on since the close of the war and added one more year to the life of the Examiner. We would gladly have increased its size and improved its typographical appearance, if circumstances† and the patronage, which we had hoped for, had permitted; but type paper and everything essential to the publishing of a paper are costly and the necessary means for purchasing them have been wanting It is true that there are many in our community who are not reading men and who care nothing for newspapers or news. But they should remember that for making known the advantages of a city, a newspaper is the best agent. It is therefore for the interest of every man who owns property here whether he be a reading man or not, to help support a paper which helps to increase the value of his property, and if he has children, he should at least give them the opportunity to inform themselves upon passing events. The City and County should also assist in supporting their own local paper. Why are not the City and County Treasurers accounts published quarterly? Is it for fear of a little expense? We are sure that those who pay the heaviest taxes, would willingly pay a little more, and have the satisfaction of knowing precisely how their money is spent. Th......
Saturday Nov 16, 1867
Magnolia House† -- As our readers will see, by the advertisement, in another column, that the Magnolia is to be reopened under new auspices Capt H. M. Snow the proprietor, is a very gentlemanly man and we have no doubt will do all he promises. He has also opened a restaurant and bar room in Charlotte St which appears o e the best institution of the kid which we have ever had in the Ancient City.
A pie-bald political gathering took place upon the public square o the evening of Tuesday the 11th inst. We were not present upon the occasion , but understand that the speakers were Col. O B Hart and Mr. E. K. foster junr. Registration officers and candidates for the convention, while the audience appeared to be largely made up of females of the Negro persuasion that the themes of the speakers were references to the martyr Lincoln, self laudations and denunciations of Liberty Billings, who is evidently to be made the scape goat on whom is to be cast the burden of all the infamous teachings of and preaching to the Negroes which the radical leaders but a short time since were so readily to wink at and take advantage of, but which since their sudden conversion into Conservative Republicans by the news of the northern election they find it very convenient to denounce and deny.
As there appears to be some little haziness among them just at present as to whether they are radical or conservative republicans we volunteer to help them out of the fog a little by publishing and following extract from the editorial column of the Florida Union of the 9th inst. which must necessarily be all right as the paper claims to be the Republican State organ.
The assertion of Billings that the trouble in this District is between the Conservative Republican party and the radical Republicans is totally and willfully false. There is no Conservative Republican party in the State. The regular party organization is as truly radical in its principles d purposes as are the men who now bolt. The delegates from this county to the Convention, which nominated the present ticket (composing a majority of that Convention) were selected and endorsed as sound by the extremist radicals in Jacksonville, and out of the 21 delegates set to the Convention from the three counties, eleven were colored men of known radical tendencies, and Billings, who not bolts was himself a delegate and cast two votes for himself and one as proxy. If there is one section of the party more radical than another, that section nominated the present ticket.
Saturday Nov 23, 1867
The election held in this County during last week under the operation of the reconstruction laws resulted as follows
For Convention 137
E. K. Foster J.† 137
O. Bo. Hart 137
F W Bardwell 134
Joh Gordo 134
We understand that of the above vote 110 ballots were cast by negroes. The Conservatives had o candidate in the field and took no part in the election.
Among the most prominent improvements lately made, in our city is that of Mr. Greeno, upon his house in St. George-streets.
Saturday Nov 30, 1867Married at the Catholic Church in this City o Monday November 25th by the Rev Father Delafosse, Mr. FR F Ximanies and Jane youngest daughter of Gabriel Pomar all of this city
The Ancient City Restaurant
Charlotte Street South of Greeno
The Subscriber has opened this "Retreat" in order that invalids and others who may sojourn here, this writer maybe able to procure liquors of various kings
Wines Brandies, and Ales
Attached to the Retreat will be a free Reading Room.
Every Saturday Night Oysters and other Refreshments will be prepared.
M. M. Snow Proprietor† November 16 1867
Dec 7, 1867
On Monday our City was enlivened by a public display of the Loyal League. White aprons and black faces made a splendid contrast, the former ornamented with the stars which the owners expect to wear upon their breasts and shoulders when these United States become the Negro government Empire which they are promised, while the latter shone with satisfaction at the evident near approach of that blissful period.† The Rev. Joseph Cruz, Grand High Cock-a-lorum of the occasion marshaled his forces with immense dignity ad addressed his audience with tremendous applause. We sympathized with his charger, who charged vigoursly and furiously about our sundry streets all day, at the charge of the Loyal League we presume. We did not observe any of the white members of the society present in the procession but presume the Negroes were ashamed of them and would not let them appear.
Seriously the Freedmen of this County are a peaceable and well disposed set of men and we do not despair of their yet finding out before it is too late, that their interests is to conciliate and harmonize with their former masters who are their true friends, rather than to permit themselves to be bonded together in inimical societies controlled by those who seek only their own self aggrandizement, through their means and who will remorselessly desert them when their time of trouble comes.
Dec 21, 1867
Communication between this City and
Charleston and Savannah is now easily and comfortably had; to the former place by the steamers Dictator and City Point and to the latter by the Lizzie Baker. The Charleston steamers are large sea-going boats, which have recently been thoroughly over-hauled and are very comfortable. They take the outside passage and always make good time The Lizzie Baker is also just off the dry-dock having been entirely refitted. She take the inland passage running down through the sounds which lie between the sea islands and the main land. This route is preferable to many, who dread seasickness or the change of storm.......
We have been presented with a palmetto hat, made by Mrs. Careras of Spanish Street. Mrs. Carreras is a deserving lady, who lost her husband during the late unhappy war. She is ready to fill any orders which may be given her. There is no necessity for sending abroad for anything in the shape of hats or boots, when such beautiful fabrics are manufactured here. Indeed they are very much the vogue and last year they were† quite an item in the productions of the town.
Stone Wall Saloon
The above institution is kept by Frank who has constantly on hand the finest Matanzas oysters. He serves them in every style† -- hot, cold and on the half shell. We had the pleasure of cracking a few of them the other day and found them very palatable and digestible.
The Keogh property, on Marine street is for sale. Price two thousand dollars. Any one wishing to learn further particulars, may call at this office
We saw a couple of sugar canes, the other day, raised on the farm of Manuel Solana, which had, the one, twenty-five and the other thirty joints. They measured twelve or thirteen feet in height.
Saturday Dec 28 1867Good News Glorious News
Arrival of Santa Claus
Christmas is coming
(fireworks sky rockets, Roman Candles, fire crackers, torpedoes, dolls, tops, marbles.)
Also a large variety of other reasonable Goods for the Holidays.† Just received and for sale at
H R Dummas
Saturday August 8th 1868
Ancient City Restaurant
Charlotte Street South of Greeno
This well known and popular Retreat has recently been refitted and furnished in good style for the accommodation of its Patrons comfortable private rooms for parties, and a public reading room are attached.
The choices wines liquors and ales will be found at the bar which is also supplied with ICE enabling the House to furnish all the popular cooling drinks, during the summer.
Aug 15, 1868
The Society of St Benedict the Moor among the Coloured Men of St. Augustine
Right Rev Bishop Verot gave out last Sunday that there would be a meeting of the coloured men of St Augustine with a view of reorganizing the Society of St Benedict which existed among them, before and during the war, and had afterwards, like so many other things ceased to be as the new order of things inaugurated after the war. We understand that there was a good number of men who answered the call, ad there is a prospect of a good many more coming o Sunday next for the final organization of the Society .....We wish St. Benedict Society and all upright and industrious coloured people full success and constant God-Speed.
A Society existed also among the white male population which was suspended during the war. We learned with pleasure that it had been reorganized and was now in full working order under the name of St. Augustine Benevolent Society. May it, become the instrument of valuable good done among the working classes of our City to assist them when living, when dying, and after death