St. Lucie Historical Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 578
Fort Pierce, Florida 34954-0578
The Boston House
Historical records reflect that William T. Jones, a railroad engineer and the third Sheriff of Saint Lucie County, completed his home, Cresthaven in 1909. The original cost of construction was said to be $6,000 dollars, paid for by a settlement Mr. Jones received when he was injured in a railroad accident. Much of the construction material was brought by railroad, from Georgia and South Florida, for Mr. Jones because he was a personal friend of Henry Flagler. Mr. Jones lost his house during the Great Depression.
The house was sold in 1949 to the McCarty family for $13,500. The McCarty’s however, never occupied the house. They resided in The Governor’s House, across Boston Avenue from Cresthaven. The building was renovated from 1984-85. The Red Georgia brick facade was re-grouted and its Dade County pine wood floors, banisters and stairs were restored.
Seventy four years after construction Cresthaven was added to the register of Historic places by the United States Department of the Interior. It is recognized for its architectural uniqueness and history in Saint Lucie County. This is the only building in the area with such a mixture of Neo-classical and Georgian Architecture. Located on modern day Indian River Drive at Boston Street, in downtown Fort Pierce, Florida. Cresthaven is now called The Boston House. It is currently occupied by a law firm.
The Boston House/Cresthaven has a "Ghost Story."
St. Lucie Historical Society, Inc. Homepage