This Website is No Longer Being Updated
Please Visit Our New Updated Website at:
www.stluciehistoricalsociety.org

Redirecting: St. Lucie Historical Society, Inc.

St. Lucie County Historical Museum Guide

The Train Station Room           

    The entrance to the ST. LUCIE COUNTY HISTORICAL MUSEUM building is a replica of the old Fort Pierce train station.  The station was located along the tracks that run through modern day downtown Fort Pierce.  For half a century most cargo and passenger transportation, in and out of the area, was by coastal schooners or river boats.  In 1894 Henry Flagler brought his railroad down the east coast of Florida from Jacksonville.  This allowed growers and fisherman access to northern markets.  Passengers could travel faster and in a much more comfortable manner.  Employment on the railroad helped to provide steady wages for the less prominent area residents.  Mr. Flagler designated Fort Pierce as a division point in 1911.  The population soared!  The sleepy little hamlet of 300 souls grew to 800 in 1905 and jumped to 3500 a decade later. 

    Photos courtesy/copyright of the St. Lucie County Historical Museum

Train Station Room Exhibits:

 Circa 1911 Downtown Fort Pierce Diorama - Built by our volunteer Museum Model Builders

Large Model Train Engine with Coal Car - Built by Jesse Benway and exhibited at the 1934 Chicago Worlds Fair

 Historical Photos of Downtown Fort Pierce - Developed from glass plates taken by the Florida Photographic Concern

Print of Commissioned Murals by A. E. "Bean" Backus - Depictions of the area from 2000 B.C. to modern day

 

 St. Lucie Historical Society, Inc. Homepage