This Website is No Longer Being Updated
Please Visit Our New Updated Website at:
St. Lucie Historical Society, Inc.
The Cobb Store
"Everything to Eat, Wear and Use"
Built in 1882 by the Hoggs, then used as a canning plant, the building was purchased by Peter P. Cobb in 1896. Mr. Cobb converted it to a General Store. Supplying the population from this location for 30 years, the store had a large delivery area. Ranging from Eau Gallie in the north to Ankona in the south.
Peter Cobb and his good friend Milton E. Card had come from Cazenovia, New York. A tall thin man, Cobb was born in 1857. He sold his store in 1931 and he passed away in 1943. Known as a charitable businessman as well as civic minded. He made contributions to the library and to Fort Pierce Memorial Hospital. Mr. Cobb was one of the first town alderman and the city's first Postmaster.
Cobb also owned a part interest in a drug store and the Cobb's Dock. He extended the dock over the years, until it reached about twelve hundred feet into the river. Steamers regularly stopped at his dock. When the town had cause to celebrate, the towns people gathered on Cobb's Dock to do so.