St. Lucie Historical Society, Inc.
Post No. 2
Post No. 2 was established on April 7, 1839, located approximately 18 miles northwest of Fort Pierce. This post was closed at the conclusion of the Second Seminole War. It was reactivated on December 19, 1849, in anticipation of renewed hostilities with the Seminoles. The post was renamed at this time in honor of John Rogers Vinton, who had served in the Florida War and was killed in action in the Mexican War. The threat of was disappeared and the post was again closed on May 22, 1850.
The exact location of Post No. 2 has been difficult to establish. Pam Hall, Indian River County's Florida History Librarian has researched records. One problem in doing this research was that different maps showed different trails at various times. Research proved there were documents which pinpoint the location by latitude and longitude. With the use of a global positioning device, loaned by diver Isaac Arlequin the approximate position of the Fort was examined by Dr. R.B. Mulanax. Dr. Mulanax is an American History professor at Indian River Community College. Ms. Hall, Dr. Mulanax and some of his interested students, joined in the research and helped explore the area with permission of the land owner. No artifacts were found during this project. They place the location of the Fort at 2.39 nautical miles south of Highway 60 and .4 miles west of the intersection of Highway 60 and 122 Ave.
John Rogers VINTON
A soldier, born in Providence, Rhode Island, 16 June, 1801; died near Vera Cruz, Mexico, 22 March, 1847. He was graduated at the United States military academy in 1817, served in Florida and Mexico, and was killed by the windage of a cannon-ball, at the siege of Vera Cruz. He had become captain in the 3d artillery on 28 December, 1835. He was brevetted major on 23 September, 1846, for gallantry at Monterey, and the degree of A. M. was given him by Brown in 1837.