St Johns County was one of the two original counties when Florida was organized as a territory in 1822, the other being Escambia County. That same year a sizeable portion was removed to create Duval County and the following year, 1823, another portion was removed to create Monroe County. In 1824, another portion was removed to create Alachua County. Escambia County encompassed the Florida panhandle but all of eastern Florida traces back to St Johns County originally. From 1824 to 1849, St Johns County maintained its same boundaries but in 1849 a portion was removed, along with portions of Alachua, Marion, and Orange, to become Putnam County. The last alteration to St Johns County's boundaries was in 1917 when the southern portion, along with a portion of Volusia County, was removed to become Flagler County. Presently St Johns County is bounded on the east by the Atlantic Ocean, on the north by Duval County, on the west by Clay and Putnam Counties and on the south by Flagler County.
This St Johns County site is an independent site. If you have any comments, corrections or additions for the St Johns County site, please contact Holly Timm, the site's webmaster, at firstname.lastname@example.org
|last edited 27 May 2008||28379 visitor|
|Copyright Notice: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator and/or contributor. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced on another site without specific permission from Holly Timm [ email@example.com ] and/or their contributor. Although public information is not in and of itself copyrightable, the format in which they are presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissable to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use ONLY.|
|Please report website problems to Holly Timm the site's webmaster.|
Please NO lookups or queries (use the mailing list or query posting board).