Pensacola City Directory
Transcribed and contributed by Janet
Pensacola is numbered after the “Philadelphia plan” allowing 100 numbers to each block. The streets are divided East and West by Palafox, and North and South by Garden. The following are streets running east and West with Palafox as a dividing line, commencing at water and going North: Cedar, Main, Zarragossa, Government, Intendencia, Romana, Garden, Chase, Gregory, Wright, Belmont, LaRua, Jackson, Gadsden, Cervantes, Strong, DeSoto, Gonzalez, Brainerd, Lloyd, Lee, Blount, Moreno, Mallory, Avery, Sierra, Hernandez and Jordan.
Jackson to Jordan streets, inclusive, run East only to Eighth avenue. From Eighth Avenue, easterly to limits, these streets merge into Third to Eighteenth streets.
Those streets running North and South with Garden as a dividing line, are: Tarragona, Alcaniz, Florida Blanca, Cevallos, Ninth to Twentieth avenues, on the east side; and Baylen, Spring, Barcelona, Reus, Devillier, Coyle, Donelson and Olivia, on the west side.
From Olivia street, West to limits, the streets running North and South are “A” to “Q” streets, and those running East and West from Olivia are Simpson ( a continuation of Wright), Forbes (continuation of Belmont), Howell (continuation of LaRua), Griswold (continuation of Jackson), Campbell and Babcock (continuation of Gadsden and Cervantes streets, respectively).
The other streets not given above, nor affected by the division, are the following:
Adams, from Government to Seville Square, southerly.
- Aragon, from Cevallos at the Cemetery, Easterly to the water.
- Barracks - from Church next East of Tarragona to the water.
- Bru - from Romana first East of Palafox to Garden.
- Church - from Jefferson to Seville Square first South of Government.
- Cushman alley - see DeReache.
- Davis - from Wright next East of Alcaniz, northerly.
- DeLeon - from Cevallos next South of Gregory, east to the water.
- DeReache (or Cushman alley) - from Government at Public Square to Intendencia.
- DeSoto - from Cevallos next South of Wright, East to the water.
- Eighth avenue - North from Wright an extension of Cevallos.
- Guillemard - from Wright next East of Palafox, North to limits.
- Hayne - from Wright next East Tarragona, North to limits.
- Jefferson - from Government first East of Palafox southerly to the water.
- Luke’s alley - from Aragon next West of Cevallos to Chase.
- Manresa - from Romana first East of Tarragona, North to Garden.
- Salamanca - from Cevallos next South of Chase, East to the water.
- Seventh avenue - from Wright northerly to limits.
- Seville Square - Government cor Alcaniz.
- Sixth avenue - from Wright next East of Davis, North to limits.
- Spring No. 2, from Alcaniz at the Cemetery East to Cevallos.