A Brief History of Bacon County Georgia
Bacon County, Georgia's 149th county, was created from parts of Appling, Pierce and Ware counties on July 27th, 1914 by an Act of the Legislature. Bacon County was named in honor of four-term U.S. Senator Augustus O. Bacon, who died while in office. The county seat is in Alma and is the only incorporated municipality in Bacon County. It has been written that the name "ALMA" was made up from Georgia's four state capitals: Augusta, Louisville, Milledgeville and Atlanta. It is within the area of Georgia that is referred to as "Wiregrass Country", and is located in the southeast section of Georgia. It has an average of being 215 feet above mean sea level. U.S. Highway #1, which goes from Maine to Key West, Florida crosses Bacon County from north to south. Georgia Highway #32 which runs from the Atlantic Ocean to the Alabama border crosses from east to west.
This page is under contruction if you want to post any information please e-mail us at,
This site hosted by Rootsweb