Baldwin County, named after Abraham Baldwin, was created in 1803 by Creek cessions of June 1802. The land was distributed by the 1805 Land Lottery. The Second (1807) Lottery of Georgia, Act of Legislature was passed on June 26, 1806. Five new counties were made out of parts of Baldwin and Wilkinson: Morgan, Randolph (later to become Jasper (County), Jones, Putnam, and Telfair. Portions of Wilkinson Co. were added in 1806, 1807, 1856 and 1872. Portions of Hancock County were added in 1807. Portions of Washington County were added in 1807, 1812 and 1826. Portions of Jones County were added in 1856.
Milledgeville, named after John Milledge, was the state capital of Georgia from 1807 to 1868 & incorporated as a city in 1836.
Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2002