Old Trinity C. M. E Church, was located on right of front gate at Memory Hill Cemetery
Photo courtesty of Theresa Page.
Charlie Steele, Frank Steele, and William Brooks all worked on the building of the church as young men. This photo was found in Des Steele's desk.  His grandfather was Charlie Steele.
Christian Methodist Episcopal Churches
aka Colored Methodist Episcopal
Milledgeville & Baldwin County, Ga.
Name Location Established Notes* Cemeteries
Brown Grove CME Brown's Crossing 1871* Used 2 bldgs. since the organization. First settled clergyman  Rev. Gideion Hill.  Cemetery (link)
Hicks Mission CME was located on Log Cabin Rd there in 1910  sat in front of Hicks Cemetery  Cemetery (link)
Lees Chapel CME 943 W. Thomas St - -
Mount Hope CME 453 Hwy 49 W 1884 Always worshiped in the present bldg. that was erected & dedicated in 1884 Cemetery (link)
Oak Grove Southern CME 508 Hwy 49 W - - -
Scott's Chapel CME 646 Gordon Hwy. - - -
Trinity CME next to Memory Hill Cemetery until 1921

321 N. Wilkinson St. (1921 -present)
1860* First service held in frame bldg which was erected in 1860 and located on the west side of Memory Hill Cemetery. This church was repaired and remodeled in 1883 and had the largest steeple in Milledgeville.   It was used until present brick bldg. was erected & dedicated in 1921. Church has a bell.  The old church was torn down in 1922. -


Brown Grove CME Church
Hwy. 49 West, Milledgeville, Ga.


*Source: WPA Church Records, Baldwin County,  Black Churches, 9/19/1939, Georgia Archives
 
 


Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2004