Methodist Church in Milledgeville established 1805                   Montpelier United Methodist Church, established 1790
Methodist Churches 
Milledgeville & Baldwin County, Ga.
Name Notes
Bethel Methodist 
837 Hwy. 212 NW
Established 1813. White & Black until after the Civil War. 91 members in 1899.
Cemetery
Milledgeville Methodist
First United Methodist 1805
366 Log Cabin Rd
-
Hardwick United Methodist
1888** formerly Midway Methodist until 1937
195 Hardwick St.
White**1st building erected in 1888; 
94 members in 1899.
present building erected in 1938. First settled clergyman, Rev. T. H. Gibson. 1888 - 1889. 310 members in 1939.
Joyworth Methodist  .circa 1894. was "located near the asylum west of  Mrs. Smith's store in  1894" White, named for Rev. W. P. Lovejoy and Rev. W. W. Wadsworth. Augustus Barnes was the Sunday School Superintendant. On same cicuit as Hopwell & 
Oak Grove churches.
Old Hopewell Methodist
was on Hwy 49 W next to Sand Hill Cemetery
1836. White & Black
Hopewell United Methodist
Hopewell Church Rd
Constituted 1876. Built in 1887.  White, Cemetery
Matilda Chapel at Union Hill
moved to Stevens Pottery 1889-1890
1870's, Named after Matilda Stevens, wife of Henry Stevenson Gordon circuit. Taken into Baldwin Circuit in 1892 White. First location was 3 miles west of Stevens Pottery where Union Hill church was located. Church was moved to Stevens Pottery near the cemetery. 1899 Stewards: W. C. Stevens, J. J. Stevens; Sunday School Superintendent and Secretary - J. S. Bone. 1910 Steward C. H. Cooper
45 members in 1899. **Was white wooden bldg, 60 members in 1939.  Razed in 1960's? Cemetery
Montpelier United Methodist
449 Sparta Hwy.
1790. White & Black, 118 members in 1899.
Cemetery
Oak Grove Chapel/Lingold Chapel
Scottsboro, 121 Lingold Dr. W
White & Black. Dedicated in 1855 by Rev. Dr. Talmage,
W. D. Lingold was a trustee.
Oak Grove Methodist
Scottsboro, 121 Lingold Dr. W
White membership. **White, frame church bldg. erected & dedicated in 1888. First settled clergyman T. H. Gibson, 1888 - 1889. member of south Baldwin Mission. 55 members in 1899. Stewards in 1919 - B. L. Kennon, J. P. Lingold J. E. Scott; Sunday School Superintendant - M. S. Barnes. Some families attending - Lingold, Hall,Tollersom, McMillan, Hancock, Williams, Aides, Mercer
Hampton, Bales, Adams, Cemetery
Oak Grove First United Methodist 
Oak Grove  Independent Methodist
Scottsboro, 121 Lingold Dr. W
" "Feb. 1980
Pleasant Grove Methodist 
Cowan Rd., Brown's Crossing
Established 1829. White & Black until after Civil War. 83 members in 1899.
Cemetery
Sintonville Methodist  Black, Active in 1921. Rev. Richard Williams was raising money in 1881 to build the church. 
Union Hill Protestant Methodist 
was on Union Church Rd SW
**  White membership. This was formerly Matilda Chapel which moved to Stevens Pottery.  The new church bldg.  was erected by W. J. Ryle of Wilkinson County, renamed  Union Hill in and dedicated in 1898.  Sunday School organized in 1898, superintendent was J. . Braswell. 1899 pastor - J. M. Langford  Stewards: A. R. Bloodworth; J E. Braswell, C. F. Minter, W.F.Minter, C. C. Hudson and C. H. Cooper. Supt. Sunday School - J. E. Braswell. Church Secretary - P. F. Bloodworth. 65 members in 1899. Was in the Laurel Branch district composed of this church and Laurel Branch in Wilkinson Co. Rev. Seth  A. Bales was the pastor in 1910 and 1911..
Was a white frame building. First settled clergyman, Rev. Mr. Costley, 1893-1898.  Church had 23 members in 1939;  no longer exists. 
Cemetery 
**Source: WPA Church Records, Baldwin County, White Churches, 9/19/1939, Georgia Archives; Union Recorder


Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2004