Mt. Olive Primitive Baptist Church
Was located off Sandersville Hwy. East Baldwin
        The Baptist records at the Tarver Library at Mercer Univ. in Macon, GA, show that the old Mount Pelia church that Robert McGinty was a member of in 1797,  was also named Montpelier and that it later united with the Hephzibah Baptist Church (1804) and that the name was changed to Mt. Olive Baptist Church in 1812. (Jerry McGinty). In 1815 the meeting house at Mt. Olive was getting subscribers to build the church.  Capt. Benjamin Cook who died in 1890 is buried in an unmarked grave, per obituary.
A member of the Ebenezer Association,  the 14th session was held here Sept. 9, 1826.
The church was located about 6 miles northeast of Milledgeville off Hwy. 24 on  County Rd. No. 182 Anderson Drive (unpaved) and was active in the 1830's.  The church is not shown on the 1908 county map although the cemetery (link( is still there.
       William Whitaker and James Boykin were clerks in the church and their slaves were members. William Whitaker and his wife remained members of the church until Harmony Missionary Baptist Church was built and they joined it.   Families attending: Boykin, Brookins, Cook, Moran, Pulley, Ennis, Allen, Hall. King, Leonard,  Oxford, Prosser, Smith, Whitaker, and Willis,  Brookins are buried in the cemetery. Benjamin Cook is buried here per his obiturary..
"From the Minutes of Mount Olive Church in Baldwin County - In 1831, a prominent citizen, in regular Church conference made acknowledgment of his sin and promised that he "would not again transact his business at a gander pulling."
Sources: HistoryStories of Milledgeville and Baldwin County, Leola Beeson, Union Recorder
 
 


Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2004-2009.