Georgia State Historical Marker states "The first Catholic mass was celebrated
at Milledgeville in April, 1845, at the Hugh Treanor apartment
in the Newell Hotel. Bishop Ignatius Reynolds of the diocese of
Charleston, accompanied by Father J.F. O'Neill, visited here in 1847.
In 1850 this parish was incorporated in the new Diocese 1874
and Robert Kennedy was the first resident priest, 1899-94.
This site was previously occupied by elegant La Fayette Hotel which opened in October, 1824, and had as its guest Gen. Marquis de La Fayette in 1825".
Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2004