The State Historical Marker: "This Church was organized in 1841 through the efforts of Bishop Stephen Elliott. the church building was completed in 1843 and consecrated Dec. 10. The vestibule, annex and Gothic roof were added later. The handmade chancel furniture was given by an early parishioner, John Wilcox. Rev. Rufus White was probably the first Rector and J.M. Cotting and C.J. Paine the first Wardens. In 1864 the building was damaged when Federal troops dynamited the nearby arsenal. In 1909 a new organ was presented by George W. Perkins of New York who had heard that Sherman's troops stabled horses in the building and further damaged its contents".
According to the
Acts of The Georgia State Legislature, Dec. 8, 1841 " John R. Cotting and
Charles J. Paine, wardens, and John S. Thomas, Michael J. Kenan and William
S. Rockwell, vestrymen, and their successors in office, be, and they are
hereby incorporated and made a body politic and corporate, under the name
and style of the Wardens and Vestry of St. Stephen's Church."
Charles. A Living Heritage: St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Milledgeville
Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2004