Willis House named
to National Registry of Historic Places May 2003
Greek Revival home built around 1828 by
architect John Marlow
Owners: (1) Judge Moses Fort and his wife Eudocia
Walton Moore Fort, the niece of George Walton, one of the signers of the
Declaration of Independence from Georgia.
(2)Their daughter Caroline married
John Hammond, the third Secretary of State of Georgia in 1842 in the back
yard. Judge Fort died in 1845 and his wife Eudocia lived with her daughter
and son-in-law. John Hammond was also the probate judge for Baldwin County
for many years died in 1885. His wife Caroline died in 1893.
(3)Their oldest daugther Frances Martha
Hammond Hollinshead, (3), wife of George Hollinshead, inherited it and
sold it (4)in 1898 to Dolly Brookins Simpson who sold it to
(5)J. D. "Dawson" Willis (5)and Estelle
"Cissy" Baumgarten Willis great-aunt
(6)of the current owner Saralyn Latham (husband
Melvin Latham) who bought the estate in 1980.
House is located on Irwinton Road/441 South
source: The Baldwin Bulletin
Eileen Babb McAdams copyright 2004