John Albert Boring enlisted as a Private into the Confederate Army on May 21, 1864, and was assigned to the Marion Light Artillery, 3rd Battalion of Smith's Brigade. John was surrendered at Citronelle, Alabama on May 4, 1865, and was paroled on May 11, 1865 at Meridian, Mississippi.
He was born on December 20, 1837, and was married to Sarah Rollins. He died on April 29, 1903. Both he and Sarah are buried in Boring family Cemetery in Lowndes County, Georgia.
FAMILY SKETCH: John Albert Boring 1837-1903 Lowndes
John A. Boring was born in Morgan County, according to his Confederate record, or in Walton County. He was the son of Joseph and Harriet (Means) Boring. Joseph and Harriet in Georgia to pioneer families who came from North Carolina in the early 19th Century, although in 1850, Joseph, Harriet and their six children were living in Benton (now Calhoun) County, Alabama, farming. By 1860, Joseph was in Walton County with his wife and three of their children, Sarah Boring 20, Joseph Boring 19, and Margaret Boring 13.
John Boring married Sarah Rollings on October 9, 1859. This is believed to be his first wife, but it is not known where they were living when the 1860 census was taken.
On October 6, 1862, John enlisted in the Confederate Army at Camp Finegan in Alachua County, Florida, which indicates he was living in Florida by then. He was discharged on April 30, 1863, due to illness. He re-enlisted on May 21, 1864, Marion Light Artillery at Dallas, Georgia and was paroled on May 11, 1865 Meridian, Mississippi.
John and Sarah had two children:
(1) Hugh M. Boring, b. 1860 m. 1st Fannie A. Meddaugh, Sept. 25, 1883, 2nd Lolla?
(2) Edgar J. Boring, b.1864 d. 1915
Apparently Sarah died sometime during the early 1860’s.
John married his 2nd wife, Sarah Kornegay on December 20, 1865. Sarah was born in 1848, the daughter of Basil and Emily Kornegay, (Vol. XI). Basil had property a few miles southeast of Valdosta on the banks of what is Boring Pond.
In 1870, John and Sarah had 10 children:
(3) Ida Lee Boring, b. Nov. 14, 1866 d. Jan. 16, 1940 m. William A. Griffith Sept. 23, 1886, b. Aug. 29, 1886 d. Dec. 20, 1943. Buried in Sunset Hill Cem.
(4) Margaret Boring, b. 1868
(5) Harriet E. Boring, b. Oct. 29, 1869 d. Mar. 16, 1947. m. Willis H. Watson, Mar. 20, 1888 , b. Oct. 7, 1895, d. Sept. 6, 1948. Both are buried in Sunset Hill Cemetery.
(6) Anna Boring, b. Feb. 1875 d. 1915
(7) George Boring, b. 1874 d. 1945 m Minnie Lovett Apr. 21, 1901.
(8) John H. Boring, b. Apr. 15, 1877 d. June 18, 1969, m. Inez, John buried in Boring Cemetery.
(9) Minnie Boring, b. Apr. 1880 d. 1937 b. in Sunset Hill Cem.
(10) Walter Boring, b. Sept. 1882 m. 1st Mattie, 2nd Eunice Thelma Minter Nov. 5, 1919 Thomas Co., GA
(11) Clifford Boring, b. June 1886 m. Mae Belle Doss.
(12) Maude Ruth Boring, b. Apr. 6, 1890 d. Dec.12, 1986 m. William J. Handorf, Sept 16, 1917 b. May 11, 1892 d. Apr. 4, 1938 buried in Sunset Hill Cemetery.
John Boring and his family lived in Valdosta where he practiced medicine for a number of years, then gave up and moved to the country at Boring Pond. John Boring died April 29, 1903. His 2nd wife Sarah died in 1935. John and Sarah are buried at their country place, Boring Pond.
Contributed by: Mary B. Wilson, 503 Ricks Ave, Lake Park, GA 31636. This is # 2084, in Huxford Genealogical Society, Inc. Magazine, Volume XXIX, Number 2, and June 2004.
Copied from a family sketch by: Gaynell Highsmith Sasser.
John Albert Borings military service was research and a grave stone was ordered on August 26, 2004 by Ms. Gaynell H. Sasser.