usflag

BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY,

P.O. BOX 1096, Nahunta, Georgia 31553

This page was updated April, 18, 2014

REMAINS OF OLD BRICK FOUNDRY AT WAYNESVILLE

brickyard

 Ex-Magistrate Judge Huey R. Ham, and Brooke Knox (daughter of Earl Knox), exploring the "old brick yard." Photo by Earl Knox.


In the late 1800s and early 1900s there was a brick foundry located at Waynesville, Georgia. During the days of operation clay would be excavated from near by mounds, and molded into "brick form," dried, and then fired (burned into their hardened form). Sources have revealed that brick from this plant were used in the construction of many buildings and streets along the Georgia coast, both Brunswick and Savannah.

 

At this location Judge Ham found mounds of old brick that had been vacated when the foundry closed operation. As the years passed, dust and dirt blew over the brick enabling weeds and brush to grow. To many of the younger generation these were mysterious mounds that had "no explanation." When the idea for the Memorial Wall was conceived for the Confederate Park at Waynesville, Judge Ham and his workers had to dig through the brush and dirt, literally, to retrieve the brick.

 


RETURN TO WAYNESVILLE HOME PAGE