BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY,
The New Hope Primitive Baptist church was constituted in 1845. The church was formed when a group of members in good order were dismissed from the High Bluff Church for the purpose of constituting a new church. The church was initially called Buffalo Church from 1845-1866, and was not listed in the Alabaha Association minutes for four years. It was admitted to the association as the New Hope/Buffalo Church in 1870. The location in its early days of existence was listed as being eight miles southwest of the Satilla Station (near present day Lulaton or Atkinson) on the Brunswick and Florida Railroad near the Satilla River. In 1873, New Hope became a member of the Bennettite group.
At the inception of Brantley County, New Hope had a total of 47 members, being originally located in Wayne County near Charlton County. Some families associated with New Hope Church include Hickox's, Johns, and Griffins. The church is also referred to as the Hickox Church. The church is located in Hickox proper, west of the railroad tracks, near Buffalo Creek. Information submitted by: Jason R. Deal, 4120 Long Branch Road, Bristol, Ga. 31518; Source: Ethel Thornton, Elder Leonard Dryden, Alabaha River Association Minutes (Crawfordite and Bennettite), The Brantley Enterprise.