usflag

BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY,

P.O. BOX 1096, Nahunta, Georgia 31553

This page was updated January 19, 2014

BETHLEHEM PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH

Bethlehem Church Road, Hickox

bethlehemprimitivebaptistchurch

HISTORY OF THE CHURCH


Bethlehem Church is located near present day Bachlott, southeast of Hickox in Brantley County. The church was founded circa 1842 and joined the Alabaha Association (Crawfordite) in 1905. The church joined with the Satilla River Association in 1969.

 

Some families that were members of Bethlehem include Battens, Herrins, Hendrixs, Highsmiths, Knoxs, Johns, Crews, Wainrights, and Rhodens. Elder Clyde Lewis was ordained at the church in the 1970s. The church disbanded in 1991. A large cemetery near the church is the burial site of many of the area's prominent families and pioneer settlers.Extracted from "The Story of Brantley County."

 

RETURN TO CHURCH INDEX

Brantley Historical Society Home Page