John Robert Cooper enlisted into the Confederate Army as a Private on July 29, 1861, and was separated on April 9, 1865. He was shown as a Corporal in Company C, 26th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, and company records show he was surrendered at Appomattox, VA. on April 9, 1865.
Military records were researched and the grave stone was ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser on August 26, 2004; Jerry Van Herrin placed the stone on November 2, 2004.
John Cooper was born in Wayne County, Georgia on April 2, 1842 , the oldest child of John and Louise (Wainwright) Cooper. He was a grandson of Willoughby Cooper (Vol. VIII) and of Joseph Wainwright (Vol. II).
On November 15, 1860 , he married Caroline McClellan in Wayne County . She was born May 9, 1843 in Wayne County , Georgia, the daughter of Andrew McClellan and his second wife Sarah Highsmith. Sarah was the daughter of Jacob Highsmith, R.S. (Vol. V).
Mr. Cooper has not been located in the 1870 census, but by 1880, he and his family were living in Charlton County.
Caroline (McClellan) Cooper apparently died in childbirth on February 14, 1873 , Charlton County . On June 15, 1873 , Mr. Cooper married Lucinda Elizabeth Johns in Charlton County . She was the daughter of James B. and Keziah (Jones) Johns and was born on March 12, 1852 in Camden County . Her paternal grandparents were George and Anna Johns (Vol. VIII). Her maternal grandfather was Samuel Jones who died in Camden County about 1849.
John Robert Cooper was the father of fifteen children. The first four were by the first wife and the balance by the second wife.
1) Elizabeth “Lizzie” Cooper, b. 11/? /1864, m. George Curtis Myers, son of James & Belle Myers.
2) King Cooper, b. 1867, buried Antioch Cem, Charlton Co, GA, grave is unmarked.
3) Louise Cooper, b. 1869, m. Wallace Wainwright.
4) Joseph Willoughby Cooper, b. 2/14/1873 , d. 2/27/1931 , m. 1) Sophia Elizabeth Warren, 4/3/ 1902, b. 2/20/1881 d. 1912, m. 2) Sarah P. Taylor, 12/18/1912 Charlton Co, d. 2/27/1931 . Joseph, Sophia and Sarah are b. in Antioch Cem. Charlton Co, GA.
5) Keziah Serena Cooper, b. 4/21/1874 , d. 8/29/1927 , m. Charles H. Lloyd, b. 5/31/1865 d. 2/5/1920 , son of John N. and Rebecca Lloyd, both b. in Antioch Cem. Charlton Co. GA.
6) James Thomas Cooper, b. 1878 d. 1948 m. Lillie E.? b. In Corinth Cemetery.
7) Daniel Frank Cooper, b. 11/14/1879 d. 4/3/1936 m. Dozie Ann Rozier b. 10/3/1886 d. 09/20/1954 daug. of James R. & Louise Ann Poppell Rozier. Daniel & Dozie are b. in Pilgrims Rest Cem, Brantley Co. GA.
8) Marg Etta Cooper, b. 4/? /1882.
9) Rosie Leslie Cooper, b. 3/? /1884.
10) John N. Cooper, b. 2/? /1886 m. Ardelia Johns, 6/14/1919 , Charlton Co.
11) Samuel P. Cooper, b. 2/? /1886
12) Nancy A. Cooper, b. 4/? /1888, m. Harry Jens
13) Teata Cooper, b. 10/? /1889, John Teston, 7/15/1919 , Charlton Co, GA
14) Mollie E. Cooper, b. unk. m. W.W. “Hamp” Wainwright 4/2/1902 , Charlton Co, GA
15) Jesse N. Cooper, b. unk. m. Deliea Johns, 6/14/1919
Mr. Cooper was a faithful Confederate soldier, serving the entire War. He enlisted in Company C, 26th Georgia Infantry Regiment ( Camden and Wayne County Seaboard Guards) as a private on July 29, 1861 . He later was promoted to corporal and surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia on April 9, 1865.
Mr. Cooper lived most of his adult life in Charlton County near Folkston where he was a successful farmer. He was a County Surveyor for several terms, 1889-1893, 1895-1899, 1901-1907 and 1909-1915.
Lucinda E. (Johns) Cooper died on February 16, 1919 at her home in Charlton Co. At this time, John R. Cooper moved in with his son-in-law, Charles H. Lloyd where he was living at the time of the 1920 census in Charlton Co. Shortly after the census was taken, Mr. Cooper died on Feb. 1, 1920.
John Robert Cooper and his 2nd wife, Lucinda Elizabeth, are buried in Bethlehem Cemetery near Hickox in Brantley Co. His 1st wife, Caroline (McClellan) Cooper is buried in McClellan Cemetery in Brantley Co.
References: “Pioneers of WIREGRASS GEORGIA ” (Vol. X) Huxford Genealogical Society. Gaynell H. Sasser..