James Griffin, Jr. was born March 24, 1829 to James Griffin, Sr. *Indian Wars*, and Nancy Burnside Griffin in Ware County, Georgia. James was married to Georgia Isabella Jones in 1853, daughter of Capt. James Perry Jones I and Sarah Mizell. Georgia was born April 6, 1836.
Children of James and Georgia are:
1. James P., b.11/01/1854, d. 04/6/1927, M. Frances Rhoda Ann Raulerson b.7/31/1861 d. 12/10/1927 daughter of Jasper and Frances (Thornton) Raulerson; James and Frances are buried in New Hope Cemetery, Brantley Co, GA.
2. Elender "Ellen," b.8/29/1856, d.7/8/1942 m. Henry Strickland b.7/24/1842 d.5/15/1920, son of John and Mercy (Martin) Strickland. Elender and Henry are buried in High Bluff Cemetery, Brantley County, GA.
3. Lusina "Cina," b. 2/28/1858 d. 10/18/1920 buried in High Bluff Cemetery.
4. Mary Alice, b. 3/11/1862 d. 7/1/1931 m. George Patterson Warren 3/7/1898, b. 1/9/1862 d. 1/8/1928, son of John Luther and Wealthy B. (Woodard) Warren. Mary and George are buried in Mars Hill Cemetery in Brantley County, GA.
5. Matthew "Math," b. 7/13/1865, d. 5/19/1926 m. 1st Lillie Virginia Dowling b. 6/3/1872 d.9/19/1915, daughter of Darling Wesley and Mary Frances (Harris) Dowling. Matthew and Lillie are buried in High Bluff Cemetery. m. 2nd Mary E. Benton.
6. Margaret, b. born April 14, 1867 March 25, 1868, buried in High Bluff Cemetery
7. Edward, b. 9/24/1868 d. 10/26/1955 m. Ardelia Herrin b. 4/2/1867 d. 11/11/1944 daughter of William Riley and Emma Malissa (Delispine) Herrin. Edward and Ardelia are buried in High Bluff Cemetery.
8. Nancy, b. 6/24/1870, d. 11/3/1950 m. James Frier "Jim" Lee 12/16/1897, b.4/18/1869 d. 6/5/1942, son of George and Serena (Miller) Lee. Jim and Nancy are buried in High Bluff Cemetery.
9. Jesse, b.2/12/1873, d. 8/15/1909 buried in High Bluff Cemetery.
10. Isabelle, b.12/14/1874 d. 12/14/1874 buried in High Bluff Cemetery.
11. Alfred, I. b. 1875 m. Georgia Evans.
12. Sarah "Sallie," b. 3/21/1876 d. 1/29/1951 m. Jefferson Franklin "Jeff" Johns b. 1/8/1883 d. 3/14/1968, son of Franklin C. and Letitia Celestine (Dowling) Johns. Jeff and Sallie are buried in High Bluff Cemetery.
James Griffin, Jr. enlisted in Waynesville, Ga. April 26, 1862 in the Confederate States Army for the duration of the war. He served as a Private as long as he was in the war. In the beginning, he served in Company A and K, (Clinch's) Georgia Cavalry. He had the use of a horse and equipment for 12 months. Later he served under Captain McDonald's Company (Shiloh Troops), Cavalry Battalion, south of the Altamaha.
James Griffin, Jr. was Justice of the Peace in the 590th district of Pierce County 1865-1869. James and Isabelle were members of the High Bluff Primitive Baptist Church. James died January 4, 1906. His wife, Isabelle, died May 24, 1909. They are buried in the High Bluff Cemetery.
Sources: National Archives Records; Huxford's Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia Vol. 3 and 5; Brantley County Cemeteries and More Edition # 2; Gaynell H. Sasser researched; Jerry Van Herrin typed and edited.
James' military service was researched and a grave stone was ordered and installed by Vernon Fort, along with an Iron Cross (Lawton-Gordon-Evans Brigade UDC Chapter #2637, Nahunta, September 25, 2004).