JAMES H. HERRIN*CSA* was the second child born to Daniel and Jemima (Ammons) Herrin December 23, 1839 in Georgia. Daniel Herrin's parents were Heron and Ann D. Herrin. Jemima Ammons parents were William and Elizabeth Ammons. James married Martha "Milly" Ann Eliza Lewis December 14, 1865 in Wayne County, Georgia. Martha was the daughter of William and Frances (Barber) Lewis. Martha was born in 1851 in Georgia.
James H. Herrin and Martha Lewis had the following children:
1. Florene "Florence" "Florida," b. 1867 Buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery, Raybon, Brantley Co., Ga.
2. Eliza J. "Elize," b. 1869 Buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery, Raybon, Brantley Co., Ga.
3. Nancy C., b. 1872, Wayne County d. 1949 m. Allen M Crews November 09, 1893 in Wayne County, Oak Grove Cemetery, in the Raybon Community, Brantley Co, Ga.
4. William Henry, b. June 18, 1875, d. Aug. 4, 1949, m. Mamie Elizabeth Highsmith September 17, 1899 daughter of Samuel Newton "Newt" and Theodocia (Riggins) Highsmith. William Henry and Mamie are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery, Brantley Co., Ga.
5. Sally, b, 1879 and died in Wayne County.
6. James "Jim" Daniel, b. Feb 26, 1882, d. Feb 14, 1946 m. Addie Mae Wilson November 20, 1902 b. Jan 26, 1885 d. Jan 16, 1958, daughter of Robert "Rob" and Mary "Duck" (Lewis) Wilson. James and Addie are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery, Brantley Co., Ga.
7. J. Barnes, b. Nov. 12, 1885 d. Oct. 26, 1939 m. 1st Lillian Burney m. 2nd Sallie McEachern Barnes is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Brantley County, GA.
8. John Adam, b. August 25, 1887, d June 25 1970, m. Cora Lee Davis b. June 24, 1887, September 16, 1945, daughter of Colquitt Davis; John and Cora are buried in Palmetto Cemetery, Glynn County, Ga.
9. Emma Frances "Fannie," b. Mar. 12, 1890, d. Apr 16, 1951, m. William "Bill" Robert Keene June 7, 1914, b. Apr. 12, 1887 d. July 18, 1944, son of David Hardy "Hard" and Frances (Lewis) Keene. "Fannie" and "Bill" are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery, Brantley Co, GA.
10. Joseph Franklin,"Joe," b. May 22, 1893, d. Oct. 6, 1942 m. 1st Mary Laura Lewis June 29, 1913, b. Oct. 19, 1899, d. Nov. 2, 1937; daughter of Joseph and Nancy (Hurst) Lewis. "Joe" and Mary are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery Brantley Co., Ga., m. 2nd Nevada Lynes b. 1909 d. April 27, 1996 Daughter of David Lemuel "Lem" and Lizzie Macie (Highsmith) Lynes; Nevada was buried in Burlington, North Carolina.
James H. Herrin served in CO. D 26th Georgia Infantry, enlisting as a Private in Brunswick, Georgia, October 9, 1861, by Capt. J.C. Nichols for a period of 12 months. He received $11.00 monthly according to National Archives.
Private James H. Herrin survived the war and was surrendered by the Commander of Confederate Forces in Florida, Major General Sam Jones, to the Commander of Union Forces, Brigadier General E. M. McCook, on May 25, 1865. He was paroled at Thomasville, Georgia on May 25, 1865.
James H. Herrin died October 26, 1910 and it is unknown when "Milly" died. James and Milly are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery in Brantley County, Georgia.
Resources: National Archives; Marriage license from the Wayne County Probate Court's office; "The Story of Brantley County, Georgia" Vol. 1 published by The Brantley County Historical and Preservation Society, Inc; "Cemeteries and More" Edition # 2, by The Brantley County Historical and Preservation Society, Inc; Facts from Jerry Van Herrin, Gaynell H. Sasser.