James Madison Herrin enlisted into the Confederate Army on July 29, 1961, and was assigned to Company C, 26th Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He was elected 2nd Sergeant at the organization. He was wounded during battle at Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia on May 12, 1864. He was captured by the Federal Army at Waynesboro, Virginia on March 2, 1865 and kept in Fort Delaware Federal Prison, until June 15, 1865, when he was released and returned home.
Military service was researched and a grave stone was ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser on September 2, 2004, and was installed by Jerry Van Herrin on October 29, 2004.
James was born April 8, 1834 in Wayne County to James Herrin and Mary Rooks. He married Jane Elizabeth Ammons, born August 11, 1833, the daughter of Sherod Sheffield and Jane Ammons in Wayne County.
Children of James Madison Herrin and Jane Elizabeth Ammons are:
1) Hester "Hettie" Herrin, born September 16, 1854, died January 26, 1921, and married, James J. "Jim" Johns, March 14, 1872, son of Jeremiah Johns and Mary Walker. Jim was born October 11, 1855, died January 19, 1923. Hettie and Jim are buried in Bachlott Cemetery, Brantley County.
2) Oceola Powell Herrin, born May 7, 1859, died October 18, 1920, and married Nancy C. Strickland, daughter of Samuel Strickland and Maryann Bennett. Nancy was born March 21, 1864 and died April 11, 1935. Oceola and Nancy are buried in New Hope Cemetery, Brantley County.
3) Elias Sylvester Herrin, born January 15, 1861, died December 30, 1912, and was married to Harriett Ann Elizabeth Chloe Howard, daughter of Simon Howard and Ann Woods, born June 20, 1867, died March 14, 1954. Elias and Harriett are buried in Corinth Cemetery, Charlton County.
4) Jeremiah "Jerry" Early Herrin, born April 7, 1866, died 1941, and was married to Fancy Johns, daughter of George Johns and Lavina Crews. Fancy was born about 1868, died about 1939. Jeremiah and Fancy are buried in Bethlehem Cemetery, Brantley County.
5) John Daniel "Dank" Herrin, born April 22, 1869, died. July 11, 1945, and was married to Sarah Equilla Wasdin, daughter of David Wasdin and Millie Chancey. Sarah was born March 4, 1876 and died October 27, 1952. John and Sarah are buried in Corinth Cemetery, Charlton County, Georgia.
6) Henry Levi Herrin, born February 19, 1871, died September 21, 1921, and was married to Gertrude "Gertner" Allen, daughter of George Allen and Mary Grooms. Gertrude was born September 13, 1871, died August 23, 1940. Gertrude is buried in Oak Grove Cemetery near Raybon.
7) Joseph Madison "Big Mack" Herrin, born March 9, 1873, died December 6, 1935, and was married, 1st to Sarah Elizabeth Johns, born about 1875; 2nd to Ida Agnes King, daughter of Jasper W. "Zibe" King and Hulda Ann "Haleson" Knox, born September 24, 1878, died June 16, 1951; and 3rd marriage was to Eliza E. Johnson. Big Mack and Ida are buried in Bethlehem Cemetery.