John Franklin Highsmith was a 2nd Lieutenant in Company D, 26th Georgia Volunteer Infantry. He was born March 18, 1835, died December 9, 1903, and was married to Nancy Charlotte Jones on January 6, 1861. Both are buried in New Hope Cemetery.
Military service was researched and a stone was ordered by Gaynell H Sasser on May 26, 2004, and was installed by Jerry Van Herrin on July 29, 2004.
John Franklin Highsmith, son of Allen D. Highsmith and Elizabeth Knox Highsmith was born March 18, 1835, died December 9, 1903, and married Nancy Charlotte Jones on January 16, 1861. Nancy was born October 1, 1845 died December 28 1912, the daughter of Burrell Jones and Mary Mizell Jones.
John and Nancy had the following children:
1) James Franklin Highsmith, b. October 10, 1860 d. May 12, 1932 m. 1st Julia Ann Satilla Jones daughter of Edward Benjamin Jones*CSA* and Rebecca Tucker, b March 22, 1874 d. May 30 1899 m. 2nd Ann Drury m. 3rd Julia Ann Mizell daughter of Jasper Pleasant Mizell and Mary Jane Robinson, b. February 18, 1881 d. June 17, 1915. James, Julia Jones and Julia Mizell Highsmith are buried in New Hope Cemetery.
2) Mary Lovedy Highsmith, b. July 8, 1867 d. September 21, 1901 m. 1st Jessie J. Roberson m. 2nd James Riley Dowling. Mary is buried in New Hope Cemetery.
3) Jasper Dilworth Highsmith, b. July 15, 1870 d. June 11, 1944 m. Frances V. “Fannie” Herrin daughter of William Herrin and Emma Delispine, b. December 4, 1870 d. October 31, 1960. Jasper and Frances are buried in New Hope Cemetery.
4) Julia Highsmith, b. abt 1872 m. Roberson.
5) Margaret Elizabeth “Betty” Highsmith, b. December 4, 1872 d. December 23, 1943 m. Everett Edward Jones b. November 11, 1871 d. March 15, 1960 son of Edward Benjamin Jones *CSA* and Rebecca Jane Tucker. Betty and Everett are buried in New Hope Cemetery.
6) John Gordon Highsmith, b. abt 1876 m. Charlotte “Lottie” McEachern.
Resources: Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia, HUXFORD Volume 7. Contributed by Gaynell H. Sasser.