John Thomas Highsmith was a Private during the Indian Wars, assigned to Capt. Walker's Regt. He was born about 1807 and died about 1877. He was married to Roxie Wainright. Both John and Roxie are buried in Smyrna, Cememetery, Brantley Co., Ga.
Military service was researched and stone ordered by Gaynell H. Sasser; stone was installed by Jerry Van Herrin and Art Keene.
John was born about 1807 in Pitt County, N.C. to Jacob Highsmith, *RS* and his wife. He died on November 27, 1877. John married Roxie Wainright about 1843, the daughter of Joseph Wainright and Lanie Knox. Roxie was born about 1818 in Pitt County, NC and died May 23, 1904 Wayne Co, GA. John and Roxie are buried in Smyrna Cemetery.
John and Roxie had the following children:
1) Lucretia Highsmith, b. 1846.
2) Mary E. Highsmith, b. July 5, 1846 d. November 28, 1891 m. Aaron Hugh Highsmith *CSA* May 11, 1866, son of David and Annis (Highsmith) Highsmith. He was b. September 2, 1844 and d. November 6, 1913. Mary and Aaron are buried in Smyrna Cemetery.
3) Catherine Highsmith, b. 1849.
4) John Thomas Highsmith, Jr., b. about 1852, m. Ruth Annie Harris daughter of Joseph Harris and Julia Wainright, Ruth was b. June 12, 1876 d. May 16, 1941. Ruth is buried in Smyrna Cemetery.
5) Roxie E. Highsmith, b. 1853 m. John Rodgers.
6) Joseph Henry Highsmith, b. July 5, 1856 d. February 22, 1927, m. 1st Mary Jane "Janie" Wainright b. December 4, 1863 d. July 4, 1902, daughter of Joseph Wainright and Rebecca Herndon, m. 2nd Laura Elizabeth Green about 1904. She was born July 31, 1873 d. May 5, 1974. Joseph, Mary Jane and Laura are buried in Smyrna Cemetery.
7) Lanie Highsmith, b. 1859 d. 1933, m. John Lee Courson, son of Joshua Courson and Mary Sweat. Joshua was born September 10, 1849 and d. October 22, 1926. Lanie and John Courson are buried in Knox Cemetery.