Moses Solomon Highsmith was a Private in Company C., 26th Ga Volunteer Inf. CSA. Moses Highsmith was first wounded in the hand at the Battle at Sharpsburg, Va., September 17, 1862, and then in 1863 he was severly wounded at Chancellorsville, Va.
Moses was born October 31, 1842, the son of David and Annis Highsmith. He was married to Dorinda Knox Jones, widow of Harley Jones, who was killed in "the War between the States." Moses died on April 19, 1903. He and Dorinda are buried in Smyrna Cemetery near Lulaton, Ga.
Moses also had three brothers who served in "The War Between the States," Daniel, Isaac Hampton, and Aaron Hugh.
Military service was researched by Gaynell H. Sasser, a stone was ordered by Betty Ammons McGuire, and was installed by Jerry Van Herrin.
After serving in "The War Between The States," Moses Soloman Highsmith returned home and married Dorinda "Dora" Knox on August 24, 1865. Dorinda's husband, Lt. Harley Jones died of Typhoid Fever while stationed at Gordonsville, Virginia. Dorinda was born September 6, 1833 and died June 19, 1912. Dorinda's father, John Knox served in the *Indian War*. He is buried in Knox Cemetery.
Children born to Moses and Dorinda were:
1) Catherine Highsmith, b. August 3, 1866 d. 1888 m. Will Smith.
2) Eulalie Collins "LaLa" Highsmith, b. January 28, 1968 m. William Henry Herrin January 20, 1886, b. 22 Dec 1861, d. 13 Jun 1952. He was the son of William Riley Herrin *CSA* and Emma Delispine.
3) Barney D. Highsmith, b. February 22, 1871 d. 1871.
4) Eugenia D. Highsmith, b. November 13, 1872 d. July 19, 1928 m. Lafayette Bordeaux December 17, 1891.
5) Michal Highsmith, b. May 14, 1875 Wayne County, GA d. January 21, 1929 Morgantown, West Virginia and is buried there. She married Harvey Watson Mitchum and he is buried in Smyrna Cemetery.
Dorinda's children with her first husband, Harley Jones, *CSA* are:
1) Mary Jane Jones, b. August 17, 1852 d. February 14, 1917 m. Robert G. Youles b. November 30, 1844 d. September 20, 1915. Mary Jane and Robert are buried in Smyrna Cemetery.
2) Owen King Jones, b 1853 m. Susan M. Giddens, Owen and Susan d. and b. in Valdosta, Lowndes Co. Ga.
3) Elizabeth "Lizzie" Jones, b. April 11, 1855 d. February 19, 1919 m. Joseph "Joe" Knox October 20, 1873 b. March 17, 1849 d. June 14, 1921. "Lizzie" and "Joe" are buried in Smyrna Cemetery.
4) Benjamin Franklin Jones, Elder, b. 15 MAR 1859 d. 22 JUL 1944; Married, 1st, Mary Elizabeth "Mollie" Knox b. May 4, 1864 d. January 19, 1935; married 2nd, Emma Malissa Herrin, married 3rd, Cora Prescott; Benjamin and Emma are buried in Smyrna Cemetery. Cora is buried in Corinth Cemetery by her 1st husband, Joseph Marrel Harris. The grave site for Mollie Knox Jones is unknown.
5) Beauregard Harley Jones, b. 1862 m. Eunice Camp.