Mr. Lane was born July 1828 in Wayne County. He was the oldest son of Bryant and Mary Lane. He was a grandson of William and Naomi (O’Neal) Lane and great – grandson of Bryant Lane. He was married Sept. 13, 1852, to Mary Campbell, born 1830 in Wayne (now Brantley) County, and daughter of William and Sarah ( Clark ) Campbell.
To them were born seven children:
1) David J., born 13 SEP 1850, died 13 AUG 1941; he married Lavinia “Viney” Head, born JAN 1851 died 01 DEC 1906; the daughter of Jonathan and Dillie (Raulerson) Head. They are buried in Lane Cemetery, Atkinson, GA.
2) Mary Malissie, born about 1856, and married Elias Harris, son of Thompson by 2nd wife.
3) Jane Elizabeth, born 1858, married Noah Warner, son of William and Sarah (Ammons) Warner.
4) William S., born about 1860, and married Mehalia George, April 9, 1882.
5) Thomas S. , born about 1864, and married Ann Davis.
6) John H., born about 1866, and married Virginia “Genie” Drawdy, Jan. 3, 1893.
7) Daniel Newman, about 1869, and married Currin Campbell, June 18, 1892.
William J. Lane served three years in the Confederate Army as a private in Company C, 4th Georgia Cavalry. His home place was about four miles north of the village of Atkinson in Wayne (now Brantley) County. He died in 1913 and is buried on his homeplace; his grave has a Confederate marker with no dates. His wife died in the 1890s and was buried by him; grave unmarked.
Information from: “Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia” Vol. VII by Huxford, “Cemeteries and More” Edition 2, by Brantley County Historical and Preservation Society.