Charles H. Lewis was born February 13, 1839 in Wayne County, GA. and died January 31, 1910 in Pierce County. He was a son of James Bryant and Letitia (McCool) Lewis. He married Nancy Kelly October 17, 1865 in Wayne County, daughter of George and Rebecca (Altman) Kelly. She was born February 28, 1838, Wayne County and died May 28, 1913 in Pierce County. They are buried in Rob Lewis Cemetery in the Raybon Community.
Charles H. Lewis enlisted as a Private, July 29, 1861. He was appointed 4th Sergeant in 1863. He was wounded and disabled at Spotsyvania, Virginia on May 12, 1864. Pension records show he was at home on wounded furlough, at close of war. He was serving in Company "C", 26th Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry, Camden & Wayne Counties.
Children born to Charles and Nancy Lewis were:
1. Clifford, born July 24, 1866 and died August 18, 1888; she married Frank Howard.
2. Clara Estelle, born September 09, 1867; died January 16, 1943; married Jon Mason Davis.
3. James Bryant, III, born October 27, 1869, Wayne County; died January 02, 1927, Waycross Hospital, Waycross caused by an automobile accident. He married Ella Nora Courson. He is buried in Oakland Cemetery in Waycross, GA.
4. Nancy Lillian, born May 21, 1870; died October 15, 1927. Nancy married George Washington Baxter, son of Wylly and Evalie Baxter. He was born January 29, 1868 and died May 31, 1954. They are buried in Hortense Cemetery in Hortense, GA.
5. Laura Latricia, born December 15, 1871, and died July 22, 1938. She married Allen Lafayette Davis February 28, 1889, son of Benjamin and Jane (Brown) Davis. He was born December 21, 1861 in Pierce County, Ga., and died November 29, 1926. They are buried in Shiloh Cemetery in Pierce County.
6. Mamie M., born August 31, 1873 and died September 03, 1950. She married General Jackson Strickland, son of Allen and Matilda Strickland. He was born June 11, 1872 and died September 23, 1950 in Camden County, GA. They are buried in Pilgrims Rest Cemetery, Waynesville, Georgia.
7. Martha Evalena, born March 03, 1875 and died November 14, 1951; married James Poppell.
8. Sofronia C., born September 28, 1876; died October 23, 1876, died October 23, 1962. She married Duncan McNair Humphrey 1896 in Trudie, Georgia.
9. Kate Isabelle, born July 05, 1881 and died July 03, 1943, married Walter McDonald.
Sources: "ROSTER of the CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS of GEORGIA 1861-1865" volume 3, by Lillian Henderson. Jerry Van Herrin's notes.