BRANTLEY COUNTY HISTORICAL AND PRESERVATION SOCIETY,
The Lodge Plantation land, consisting of 319 acres was granted to Amos Roberts in 1802 by the King of England.(sic) It was sold to James Hamilton Couper in 1825, and it was Mr. Couper that constructed the Lodge Plantation house, seen above. The property was later sold to Major Leighton Hazelhurst in 1874, and again to James L. McVeigh in 1899. Norman Shaw McVeigh Sr. was born in this house in 1900, and Norman Shaw McVeigh Jr., in 1924. This old home was in the McVeigh family for over 75 years.
We understand that Neil and Dewey Paulk bought The Lodge about 1981. Now locally known as The Henry House, it remains largely unchanged. The square structure was two story, four bedrooms and was built as a summer-time retreat which the St. Simon's Couper family used to evade the island mosquitoes carrying deadly malaria. It had shutter windows, and it originally had large porches which extended on both sides, and were enclosed with latticework (trellises on porch are long gone). It is located about one mile north of Waynesville. Note: The kitchen in the back of this old Lodge building had caught fire and burned, and was built back.