John William Loper was born September 11, 1837 in Wayne County, Georgia. His father, William Loper, born 1794, and “unknown” mother’s name, was from Beaufort District, South Carolina. John was 25 years old when he joined the ranks of the Confederate Army. John enlisted January 28, 1862 in Jeffersonton, Georgia by Capt. Hopkins. He served as private under Capt. Lang in Company D, "Camden Chasseurs", of the 4th Georgia, Clinch's Cavalry.
On July 05, 1864 John Loper transferred to Mercer Artillery and served with this company until the end of the War Of Northern Aggression. He engaged in battles near Brunswick , GA and the St. Johns River as well as combat in Savannah. John was discharged in April of 1865 at the Oak Hill church in Camden County, Georgia.
The following year on January 16, 1866 he married Mary A. Manning, born October 18, 1844, daughter of John Manning and Mary Ann "Burney" Manning in Wayne County, Georgia. John W. Loper and Mary A. "Manning" Loper had five children and were married 36 years until John's death on Christmas Eve, December 24, 1902. Mary lived in Georgia until she died on August 28, 1925. John Loper and his wife are buried at the Hortense Cemetery in Brantley County, Georgia.
Children of John and Mary Loper.
1. James David Loper, born January 01, 1867 and married Carrie Jane Woodcock who died and then on November 04, 1899, married Ida Melissa Winn in Pierce County. He died September 02, 1934.
2. Mary E. Loper was born April 22, 1869 and married William M. Shoemake on August 02, 1891. She died April 23, 1938.
3. Martha J. Loper was born about 1871 and on June 28, 1888 she married Jempsey Harris. Unknown death date.
4. William J. Loper was born September 11, 1873 and married Martha E. Harris on December 05, 1897. He died September 10, 1951.
5. John M. Loper was born Abt. 1879 and married Lena Wells on October 08, 1902. He died December 27, 1955.
Submitted by: David Loper, TP: 903-791-0653; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.